At Swinburne University of Technology, we are not only committed to empowering you with the best learning experience but we are also here to ensure you receive the support and care needed to enhance your student life.
Career and learning support
The Centre for Career Development helps you to get your career on track. Benefit from expert career advice and job application assistance. Attend a range of seminars, workshops, conferences and employer sessions to give your career an edge.
We offer free services to improve your academic and study skills. Get helpful advice on essay writing, research and preparing for exams. The Mathematics and Statistics Help Centre is also a great resource for students needing a bit of assistance in maths and stats. Plus, there’s an Academic Success program to help you manage your academic progress.
Health, wellbeing and safety
At Swinburne, we care about your physical and mental wellbeing as well as your safety. Each campus has a student services centre, which houses a range of support services.
Health and wellbeing services include:
- first aid, medical consultations and health counselling
- travel health services
- confidential counselling for personal, academic or financial concerns
- after-hours information hotline
- 24-hour security and CCTV at all campuses
- a night bus service at the Hawthorn campus.
Accessibility and opportunity
We have programs and staff to ensure people from a wide range of backgrounds and life experiences have the opportunity to experience a great learning experience at Swinburne. These include:
- AccessAbility Advisers at each campus to determine your support needs and clarify the information that should be passed on to academic staff
- scholarships and grants to assist with living and study expenses both on campus and overseas
- student advisers to address any grievance or concern
- legal advice – free and confidential
- childcare services (at Hawthorn and Wantirna campuses)
- a multi-faith prayer/reflection room.
Clubs, societies and recreation
There are many opportunities on each campus for you to get involved, express yourself, socialise, stay fit or enjoy a meal or coffee with friends.
Support for international students
International Student Advisers are available to provide guidance and support on academic and personal needs. You can make a free and confidential appointment with an International Student Adviser by emailing email@example.com or calling +61 3 9214 6741.
An International Student Adviser can help you to:
- understand your course structure or other related matters
- manage your personal needs and issues
- undertake complaint and grievance processes
- decline your offer and request a release from your course
- deal with critical incidents or issues in your home country.
Support for elite athletes
As a proud member of the Elite Athlete Friendly University network, we are here to support your study while you excel as an athlete.
We can support your study if you are recognised as an elite athlete by one of the following institutions:
- The Australian Institute of Sport
- State Institutes or Academies of Sport
- AFL Players’ Association
- Australian Cricketers’ Association
- Rugby Union Players’ Association
- Rugby League Professionals’ Association
- Australian Professional Footballers’ Association
- National senior squad members from ACE supported sports.
We can help with the following:
- enrolment needs and tailoring your academic load around training
- negotiating deadlines around your sporting related travel
- sitting external exams on the road
- study over Summer or Winter semester
- access to distance education study materials
- cross-institutional study options with an interstate university where we recognise the credits achieved.
If you are representing your country at the Olympics, we’ll make sure you can have a leave of absence.
If you’d like to study at Swinburne as an elite student athlete, please email us.
Visit the Australian Sports Commission website for more information.