Applying for your visa

In most cases, you will need a student visa to study in Australia.  

Visas are not automatic and all criteria must be met. You must not apply for a student visa before you have accepted your offer to study at Swinburne.

Student visas can only be granted for study in courses that are registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students. 

For detailed information about student visas for Australia, contact the Department of Home Affairs (DHA).

Before you apply

To apply for a student visa, you will need to have accepted your offer to study at Swinburne and paid your deposit. You will need to present the following documents to the DIBP: 

Please ensure you read and understand the DIBP visa checklists and visa conditions and requirements before you apply.

How to apply

To apply for a student visa, visit the DHA website.

Conditions of your visa

Your student visa will be subject to a range of conditions. If you do not meet those conditions, your visa may be cancelled. 

For information about visa conditions, please refer to the DHA website

Note that your visa will be issued for the course(s) listed on your CoE. If you change or extend your course at Swinburne, you may need to change your visa or visa details. Restrictions apply to changes and extensions. Please refer to the DHA website for more information. 

Students under 18

If you are under 18 years of age, your parents must nominate a guardian before ABF will consider your application for a student visa. DIBP requires your guardian to:

  • lives in Australia
  • be at least 21 years of age
  • be related to you
  • be of good character.

Note that ABF defines a relative as a spouse, de facto partner, child, brother, sister, step-child, step-parent, step-brother, step-sister, grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, step-grandparent, step-grandchild, step-aunt, step-uncle, step-niece or step-nephew of the applicant.

If you do not have a relative who lives in Australia, your parents will need to arrange for you to stay in accommodation approved by Swinburne. They will also need to contact a Swinburne-approved care provider agency before Swinburne will issue an CoE and a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) form.

Swinburne recommends the following care provider agencies: 

Students with families

If you plan to bring your family to Australia, please check conditions outlined by ABF or contact your nearest Australian diplomatic mission

Note that your student visa assessment criteria may change if your family is accompanying you to Melbourne.