- One Semester or equivalent
- 74 hours face to face + Blended
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2024 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 2
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
Aims and objectives
In this unit students work on a project that will deepen their understanding of the plurality and diversity of Indigenous knowledge systems, worldviews, standpoints, and culture concerning STEM technologies. The project will focus on emerging technologies and the respectful blending of Western and Indigenous knowledge systems to enhance project outcomes with the underline engineering knowledge for converting real-world signals to digital data with a focus on emerging technologies and providing the basics of sensors, digital electronics, signal processing, as well as the engineering programming skills to implement data processing and professional project presentation and report writing..
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
1. Locate Indigenous knowledge systems and consider how they story the long history of technology, science and engineering. (K1, K2, K3, K5, S2, S3).
2. Explain the importance of, and find opportunities to, respectfully converge Western knowledge systems with Indigenous knowledge systems (A1, A5, K4, K6, S2, S3).
3. Apply relevant knowledge of emerging technologies to a project within an Indigenous context taking into consideration and acknowledging Indigenous histories, worldviews, standpoints, and cultures (K1, K5, K6, S1, S3).
4. Function as an effective team member using project management tools and demonstrating professionalism and ethical behaviour (A1, A2, A7, K5, K6, S4).
5. Communicate within teams, stakeholders using appropriate verbal, written, and technological approaches (A2, A5, A7, K6, S3, S4).
6. Appreciate emerging technologies in a local, global and sustainable context (A1, A4, K4, K6, S2).
7. Demonstrate programming skills in digital data processing, analysis, and presentation (K1, K2, K6, S1, S2, A4).
Swinburne Engineering Competencies (A1-7, K1-6, S1-4): find out more about Engineering Skills and Competencies including the Engineers Australia Stage 1 Competencies.