- One Semester or equivalent
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2023 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 1
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
PrerequisitesDDD40001 Studio 1: Methods for Design Research
Aims and objectives
This is a research-literate and practice-based unit executed to a professional industry standard. This unit, attached to Studio 7: Major Project, is the culmination of the Masters’ course, generating research-informed design outcomes. The project will typically mature a previous design challenge or topic investigated in the course in substantially more depth. The topic of investigation will likely be connected to an emerging, current or prospective societal challenge. Students will conduct research under supervision, investigate creative design solutions via prototyping and testing, and will produce a professional quality design proposal. This proposal will be further developed to a design outcome in Studio 7: Major Project.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Investigate, assess and compare design-focused opportunities with a review of literature and artefacts.
2. Generate strategies for solving a well-defined problem by producing a self-directed design brief and project plan.
3. Investigate the relationship between design research and its effects on the wider community using relevant research principles and techniques.
4. Investigate the relationship between design research and its effects on the wider community using relevant research principles and techniques.
5. Critically evaluate a design proposition through testing and evaluation and provide recommendations for further development in a professional-level presentation.