- One Semester or equivalent
- 60 hours face to face + blended
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2023 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 2
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
Anti-requisites (Similar Content)
Aims and objectives
This unit introduces you to the field of data networking and provides you with the necessary skills to design and successfully deploy a small network.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
1. Use the OSI Model to discuss network design and infrastructure (K3, S3)
2. Design an addressing scheme to subnet a network to given specifications (K2, K3, S3)
3. Describe the processes of LAN switching and how VLANs are used in a switched network (K3)
4. Use best practice to design secure corporate networks and deploy security to practical networking environments (K3, S1, S3)
5. Describe how the Spanning Tree Protocol eliminates loops in multi-switched LANs (K3)
6. Construct a simple network of PCs, switches and a router, and troubleshoot problems in those networks (K3, S1, S2, S3)
7. Generate documentation for laboratory work and assignments (A2)
Swinburne Engineering Competencies (A1-7, K1-6, S1-4): find out more about Engineering Skills and Competencies including the Engineers Australia Stage 1 Competencies.