- One Semester or equivalent
- 36 hours
Concurrent Requisite: Can be completed prior or in the same study period.
Aims and objectives
Final Offering 2020 (replaced with MGT80003)
This unit addresses the governance strategy and leadership needs of business and social enterprises in Australia. It examines the fundamental purpose, strategic vision and values of organisations, as approved by the organisation’s board of directors. It investigates the form, content and processes by which a board of directors approves a company’s purpose, strategy and values and how it monitors, measures, assesses and reports on the implementation of these requirements. The unit equips students with knowledge and understanding of how board strategy, ethics, and culture form part of corporate governance.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Critically evaluate and apply governance strategy and corporate leadership in various organisation types
2. Apply business fundamentals to the analysis, design and operation of a strategic governance framework of a governance charter for an organisation, drawing on a range of sources and stakeholder perspectives, justifying its applicability to that particular organisation
3. Reflect on the characteristics of the board in setting its governance strategy and examine the behaviour of the board of directors as a social system
4. Research an organisation’s approach to corporate strategy and leadership and building a sustainable governance strategy for its organisation, making recommendations for improvement and measurement of effectivenes.
5.Communicate proficiently in professional practice to a variety of audiences