- 1 Semester
- 60 Hours
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
Aims and objectives
This unit of study aims to introduce you to the fundamentals and basic techniques used in Foundation Engineering. Specifically, it will provide you with the design and construction principles used in Foundation Engineering type structures such as earth retaining structures, sheet piles and shallow footings.
After successfully completing this unit, you should be able to:
2. Design the dimensions of retaining gravity and cantilever walls and assess the stability of these designed walls.
3. Determine the appropriate section of sheet piles and the depth of embedment, maximum moment, and the tension in tie rod in case of using anchored sheet piles.
4. Analyse bearing capacity of soils under shallow footings using Terzaghi and Myerhof equations.
5. Design shallow footings based on dimensions, thickness, area and length.
6. Determine the bearing capacities of single pile in sand and clay using static method and the distribution of load in group piles as well as their efficiencies.
7. Conduct basic technical investigations, compile and analyse information, and produce a brief and concise report with an appropriate conclusion..
Courses with unit
University of Baghdad - Pathway degree
Bachelor of Engineering (Civil and Infrastructure) (Honours)