- One Semester or equivalent
- 36 hours Face to Face + blended
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
Aims and objectives
This unit of study aims to introduce you to engineering research through implementing an innovative engineering research project begun in CIE40003 Final Year Research Project 1, using research methods and reflecting on broader professional issues related to the project.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
Student who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Plan and manage an innovative engineering research project, within given constraints, using knowledge and skills developed during the course (K1,K2,K3,K4,S1,S2,S3,S4,A2,A3,A4,A6).
2. Research a complex problem by formulating a research question, appraising current literature and developments, and applying research principles and methods (K3,K4,S1,S2,S3,A2,A3,A4).
3. Demonstrate effective professional written and oral communication to a variety of audiences through proposals, reports, documentation and presentations (A2,A4).
4. Apply problem-solving methodologies to generate, evaluate and justify innovative solutions (K1,K2,K3,K4,S1,S2,S3,A3).
5. Use project management processes and tools, and self-management skills, to plan and manage project work (K5,K6,S4,A2,A4,A5,A6).
6. Reflect on professional engineering practice and its impact on the project, including safety, ethical, legal, social, cultural and sustainability considerations, along with standards and codes of practice (K5,K6,S4,A1,A2,A4).
7. Demonstrate professionalism, integrity, ethical conduct and professional accountability in all aspects of project work, including teamwork, dealing with stakeholders and demonstrating a professional image (K5,K6,S4,A1,A2,A5,A6).