This unit introduces students to the importance of fostering an inclusive workplace that manages and leverages diversity in all its forms. It focuses on how people management policies and practices facilitate organisational effectiveness through recognising, valuing and accommodating employee diversity. The consequences of a diverse workplace, various diversity management practices and diverse views on the purpose of a business will be discussed. Whether in domestic or multinational organisations, such practices enable responsiveness to change and complexity and the implementation of sustainable people management practice.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
1. Identify and discuss the drivers of diversity in the workplace and describe how diversity impacts business practices through collaborative teamwork
2. Analyse various diversity management practices in terms of their theoretical rationale
3. Develop an enhanced sensitivity, openness and respect for human diversity including gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, nationality and other dimensions of diversity
4. Demonstrate awareness of diversity issues in developing and implementing people management policies and practices in particular HRM functional areas, in a diverse workplace
5. Communicate effectively as a professional and function as an effective leader in team work or as a member of a diverse team