- One Semester or equivalent
- 12 hours
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2023 teaching periods
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
BH-INTHAS Bachelor of Research (Honours)
MR-INTHAS Master of Research
DR-INTHAS Doctor of Philosophy
Aims and objectives
1. Demonstrate familiarity with and understanding of the work of key scholars in a chosen area of study including competing and complementary theoretical frameworks;
2. Critically analyse and synthesise relevant sources in the field in written form;
3. Present a succinct oral summary of their investigation to supervisor and peers.
Unit information in detail
- Teaching methods, assessment and content.
Hours per week
Number of Weeks
Unspecified Learning Activities
Individual or Group task
Assesses attainment of these ULOs
Students will agree with a Supervisor, and by approval of the Discipline Convener, on a topic or issue for a directed study. Topics will typically include investigating a substantive content area or methodological approach that is not offered by any other available elective and does not replicate a unit of study completed in the student’s undergraduate or postgraduate program.
Approved topics will include:
- Extended study in an area of particular interest to the student, provided no other suitable unit of study is available
- Preliminary investigation that may lay groundwork for the student's thesis or other further project that is beyond the scope of what can be accomplished in the core units of study in the program. Such an investigation must, in itself, produce results in an assessable format
- Reading materials.