- One Semester or equivalent
- 48 Hours
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
Aims and objectives
This unit of study aims to develop an understanding of the how data communication is achieved in networks, an overview of security issues related to data communication in networks and an understanding of how to write and analyse network applications.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Design and construct a network application that facilitates communication between computers on an intranet and the Internet.
2. Describe models that facilitate an understanding of communication in computer networks.
3. Describe how the protocols HTTP, SMTP, TCP, IP, UDP, BGP, RIP, ARP, CSMA/CD & OSPF facilitate data communication.
4. Describe security risks associated with computer networks and implement mitigation strategies.
5. Describe desirable attributes in a communication protocol for a variety of different network applications.