- One Semester or equivalent
- 36 Hours
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2022 teaching periods
|Higher Ed. Semester 2|
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
PrerequisitesENG10002 Engineering Materials
Aims and objectives
This unit is designed to enable students to apply the fundamental principles in material sciences to biomedical applications. It will address different materials (polymers, metals and composites) used in contact with living tissue. In addition, students will be introduced to biological materials like bone and soft tissue.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
1. Describe the material science and engineering requirements related to a range of biomaterials (K1, K3, K5, K6, S1, S2, S3, A3, A4, A5)
2. Recognise the complexity in the application of materials in medical devices (K1, K3, K5, S1, S2, S3, A2)
3. Describe the practical aspects of biomaterials (K1, K3, K5, S1, S2, A2)
4. Correlate biomaterial properties to intended clinical applications (K1, K5, S1, S2, S3)
5. Develop group working skills (S2, A2, A7)