- One Semester or equivalent
- 36 hours
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2022 teaching periods
|Higher Ed. Semester 1|
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
Molecular biology and biochemistry at a postgraduate level
Aims and objectives
Extending from the fundamentals of biochemistry, molecular biology and genetics studied in the first year of Master of Science in Biotechnology course, this unit intends to provide the students with an exposure to the interface between biotechnology and computer science. This field is now an essential aspect of biotechnology, and relates to rapid and extensive computer-based analysis of the genetic information of organisms, for purposes such as analysing the structures and roles of genes and proteins, comparative and evolutionary studies, disease detection and drug design. The topics covered provide a strong foundation for diverse research and development opportunities.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the structure, biochemical properties and roles of nucleic acids and proteins, and the principles of gene function and regulation.
2. Conduct a variety of computer-based exercises where the above theoretical knowledge can be applied to analysis of genes and proteins from diverse organisms.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the use of specific computer programs and databases for searching, recording, critically analysing and comparing nucleic acid and protein sequences, and reporting own results.
4. Develop an understanding of the genome databases and comparative genomics and other ‘omics’ technologies, wherein vast amounts of genetic data can be used to understand the areas of functional significance as well as patterns of evolution.
5. Develop an understanding of the role of bioinformatics in diverse areas of biotechnology such as health and medicine, agriculture and the environment.
6. Record scientific observations correctly and interpret these critically and honestly