- One Semester or equivalent
Aims and objectives
At the completion of this unit students should have a good understanding of the role of airports in the air transport industry, the evolving nature of ownership and management of airports, the regulatory and planning requirements applicable to airports and the design parameters applicable to new and developing airports.
Unit Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Describe the role of an airport in terms of the overall transportation system that serves a city or region
2. Assess and discuss the issues relating to regulation and deregulation of an airport
3. Briefly summarise the purpose and functions of key international organisations such as ICAO, IATA and ACI (and others) and national authorities such as CASA, and explain their impact on the regulation and operation of airports
4. Identify and discuss key issues with regard to airport master planning, standards, airport facilities and terminal planning, functions and operations
5. Describe the purpose of forecasting for airports and explain key elements and methods used in planning for future airport needs
6. Explain the concept of level of service applied to an airport facility
7. Demonstrate through the acquisition of technical knowledge and informed individual written communications the application of analysis and theory to current practices and developments of airports.