- One semester or equivalent
- 48 hours
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2022 teaching periods
|Higher Ed. Semester 2|
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
PrerequisitesNEU30002 Sleep and Attention
NEU30004 Higher Cortical Function
25 Credit Points in Neuroscience major units (NEU2% NEU3%)
Aims and objectives
The main objective of this unit is to provide an understanding of the psychophysiology of emotional processes, the affective and anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, other Axis I disorders and the processes of normal and abnormal aging. This unit examines the underlying neurophysiology associated with the major mental health disorders.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Critically apply a broad and deep knowledge of the underlying neurobiology of major mental disorders.
2. Compare and contrast techniques in cognitive neuroscience with an advanced understanding of brain and aging.
3. Evaluate current scientific literature and effectively critique findings associated with empirical research.
4. Synthesise, critique and deliver a seminar presentation on an experimental journal article.
5. Evaluate peer review information and produce scientific reports and literature reviews to publication standard.
Courses with unitBA-HSC1 Bachelor of Health Science
BA-HSCPROF Bachelor of Health Science (prof)
BB-HSCBUS Bachelor of Health Science / Bachelor of Business
BB-HSCMCMN Bachelor of Health Science / Bachelor of Media and Communication
BB-HSCSCI Bachelor of Health Science / Bachelor of Science