Successful completion of the Bachelor of Engineering (Robotics and Mechatronics) (Honours) / Bachelor of Business requires students to complete units of study to the value of 500 credit points. All units of study are valued at 12.5 credit points unless otherwise stated.
View course rules and special requirements
Honours merit calculation
Honours merit calculation will be based on the averaged results of 12 units in the final two years of the course with the following descriptive outcomes:
- BEng (Robotics and Mechatronics) (Hons) / BBus with High Distinction; for students who achieve ≥ 80
- BEng (Robotics and Mechatronics) (Hons) / BBus with Distinction; for students who achieve 70 – 79
- BEng (Robotics and Mechatronics) (Hons) / BBus with Credit; for students who achieve 60 – 69
- BEng (Robotics and Mechatronics) (Hons) / BBus; for students who achieve < 60
Students who transfer with advanced standing are required to undertake at least nine of these units at Swinburne, including all six Advanced Engineering units, to qualify for an honours merit calculation. This honours merit calculation will be based only on units completed at Swinburne. If a student has not completed at least nine of the specified units, they will graduate with a BEng (Robotics and Mechatronics) (Hons) / BBus as an award title, but not be eligible for a merit based honours description.
Course learning outcomes
Students who successfully complete the Bachelor of Engineering (Robotics and Mechatronics) (Honours) course will be able to:
- Apply coherent and advanced knowledge of robotics and mechatronics engineering in diverse contexts and applications using critical thinking and judgement.
- Apply knowledge of research principles and methods to plan and execute a piece of research with some independence, as preparation for research higher degrees.
- Apply problem solving, design and decision-making methodologies to identify and provide innovative solutions to complex problems with intellectual independence.
- Apply abstraction, mathematics and robotics and mechatronics engineering fundamentals to the analysis, design and operation of a model, using appropriate engineering methods and tools.
- Communicate proficiently in professional practice to a variety of audiences, function as an effective member or leader of a diverse team, and use the basic tools and practices of project management within project work.
- Demonstrate professionalism, integrity, ethical conduct, professional accountability and an awareness of professional engineering practice in a global and sustainable context.
- Reflect on and take responsibility for their own learning and self-management processes, and manage their own time and processes effectively by regularly reviewing of personal performance as a means of managing continuing professional development and lifelong learning.
Students who successfully complete the Bachelor of Business course will be able to:
- Define and integrate theoretical principles applicable to business and apply those principles in a range of practices.
- Systematically review and critically evaluate research from a variety of sources in order to make informed judgements on options for innovatively solving a range of problems that arise in business contexts.
- Formulate creative solutions that are fit for purpose and demonstrate cognisance of the impact of business decisions on the triple bottom line.
- Coherently articulate a line of reasoning demonstrating cultural sensitivity and apply a framework to analyse and offer solutions to ethical dilemmas.
- Communicate a range of business arguments by evaluating and implementing alternative communication strategies as appropriate to the audience.
- Build on and continuously develop the intellectual independence to be critical and reflective learners, cognisant of new technologies.
- Work collaboratively in diverse groups.
Graduates may take up careers in a wide spectrum of industries including robotics, airlines, chemical industries, automotive, appliance manufacturing and industrial research. Contributions can be made to these industries in a variety of roles including design engineer, project planner, product designer and project manager.
Find out more about fees.