To qualify for the award of Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Professional) students must complete 475 credit points comprising:
- 10 Engineering core units (125 credit points)
- 18 units of study from an Engineering discipline major in one of the following: Architectural, Biomedical, Civil, Electrical and Electronic, Mechanical, Product Design, Robotics and Mechatronics, Software (225 credit points)
- 4 units of study from the Professional Placement Co-Major (100 credit points); and
- 2 elective units of study (25 credit points) Students complete no more than 150cp (normally 12 units) at Introductory Level (i.e. Stage 1).
A unit of study can only be counted once. Where units are shared between majors and/or minors, students must choose an approved alternative unit.
Academic Progress – Special Requirements
In addition to the standard academic progress rules, this course has the following additional academic progress rules which are established in accordance with Academic Courses Regulation 62(2):
A student is classified as 'at risk' of unsatisfactory progress if they:
(a) fail any unit of study
(b) behave in a manner which breaches the Swinburne Student Charter whilst on a professional placement
(c) are unsuccessful in securing a Professional Placement two months before Week 1 of their final year of study.
2. A student is classified as 'unsatisfactory progress' if they:
(a) fail any unit of study in the next Progress Review period after being classified as being 'at risk'
(b) fail a Professional Placement or Work Experience in Industry unit
(c) have their professional placement terminated early by an industry partner. In the case of early termination of an industry placement by an industry partner, the student will be deemed as having 'unsatisfactory progress' and a progress review hearing may be convened within 2 weeks of the cessation of the placement.
(d) are unsuccessful in securing a Professional Placement two months before Week 1 of their final semester of study
Students in this situation may be invited to transfer to an alternative undergraduate course. Students who are identified as having unsatisfactory progress will be subject to the show cause provisions in the Progress Review section of the Academic Progress Policy.
Honours merit calculation
Honours merit calculation will be based on the averaged results of 12 units in the final two years of the course with the following descriptive outcomes:
- BEng (Hons) (Prof) with High Distinction; for students who achieve ≥ 80
- BEng (Hons) (Prof) with Distinction; for students who achieve 70 – 79
- BEng (Hons) (Prof) with Credit; for students who achieve 60 – 69
- BEng (Hons) (Prof) for students who achieve < 60.
Students who transfer with advanced standing are required to undertake at least nine of these units at Swinburne, including all six outcome units, to qualify for an honours merit calculation. This honours merit calculation will be based only on units completed at Swinburne. If a student has not completed at least nine of the specified units, they will graduate with a BEng (Hons) as an award title, but not be eligible for a merit based honours description.
Maximum Academic Credit
The maximum level of credit that can be granted for the Bachelor of Engineering Practice (Honours) award is 250 credit points (normally 20 units), this is based on exit award requirements of 400 credit points