To qualify for the award of Bachelor of Education (Secondary) / Bachelor of Arts students must complete 400 credit points comprising of:
- 10 core units and education studies units (137.5 credit points)
- 3 Education Professional Experience units (37.5 credit points)
- 4 Education Teaching Methods units comprising two Curriculum & Methods 1 units and two Curriculum & Methods 2 (Advanced) units (50 credit points)
- 8 units of study from an arts discipline major in one of the following: Chinese, Cinema and Screen Studies, Creative Writing and Literature, Digital Advertising Technology, History, Japanese, Journalism, Media Industries, Philosophy, Politics and International Relations, Professional Writing and Editing, Social Media, and Sociology (100 credit points)
- 4 units in one minor (50 credit points) and two (2) elective units
6 units in Italian minor (75 credit points)
In addition, students are responsible for arranging and successfully completing the National Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education Students (LANTITE) normally within three attempts through the Australian Council for Education Research prior to completing 200 credit points of study.
Academic Progress – Special Requirements
In addition to the standard academic progress rules, the Bachelor of Education (Secondary) / Bachelor of Arts has the following additional academic progress rules which are established in accordance with Academic Courses Regulation 62(2):
1. A student is classified as 'at risk' of unsatisfactory progress if they:
(a) behave in a manner which breaches the Swinburne Student Charter whilst on a teaching placement
2. A student is classified as having 'unsatisfactory progress' if they:
(a) fail to successfully complete the National Literacy and Numeracy test (LANTITE) prior to completing 200 credit points of studies or following three attempts
(b) fail a Teaching Placement unit
(c) have their teaching placement terminated early by a school. In the case of early termination of a teaching placement by a school, the student will be deemed as having 'unsatisfactory progress' and a progress review processes will commence within 2 weeks of the cessation of the placement.
Students who are identified as having unsatisfactory progress will be subject to the show cause provisions in the Progress Review section of the Academic Progress Policy.
Students must not complete more than 150 credit points (normally 12 units) at Introductory level. A unit of study can only be counted once, where units are shared between majors and/or minors, students must choose an approved alternative.