Successful completion of the Bachelor of Business Information Technology (Professional) requires students to complete units of study to the value of 400 credit points. All units of study are valued at 12.5 credit points unless otherwise stated.
View course rules and special requirements
Course learning outcomes
Students enrolled into the Bachelor of Business Information Technology (Professional) can expect to gain technical and analytical skills as well as the ability to assess, evaluate, and communicate the key aspects of business information systems and technologies as an enabler of modern organisations. The growing demand for professionals who can provide business information systems and technologies expertise while showing an aptitude towards the organisational environment and the ability to communicate with the business users, means that graduates of this degree can enjoy career opportunities in the professional fields of business analysis, project management, business information systems and technologies consultancy, or other fields where business information systems and technologies -requisite skills and knowledge are highly valued.
The compulsory Professional Placements in the course also provide invaluable experience within the commercial world, providing added exposure to the use of technology within industry. Through a mix of university and Work Integrated Learning environments, this innovative course is designed to provide the future leaders in Australia's Information Technology industry. Students gain 'state-of-the-art' skills in analysis, design, programming and implementation of systems, and the management skills necessary to apply information technology in the modern business environment. The course also provides individuals with the requisite academic knowledge and skills to undertake further learning at higher levels such as Honours, Graduate Certificate, or Masters (by coursework) within the field of IS/IT and/or an area closely related to IS/IT.
Upon successfully completing this course students will be able to:
- demonstrate a substantial understanding of the underlying principles and concepts within the field of Business and Management of IS/IT such as technological infrastructure (i.e. Database, Network), Enterprise Systems, IS risk and security, analysis and modelling of requirements and processes, project management, and management of IS/IT-related activities and resources
- apply critical thinking, reflection and judgment in selecting and applying the appropriate IS/IT related concepts, frameworks and/or methods as part of the process to identify and propose solutions to organisational problems
- approach and analyse problems from multiple point of views, design and/or source alternative innovative solutions based on soundly articulated business requirements, and make appropriate choices and recommendations
- communicate and articulate clear, coherent and independent exposition of knowledge and innovative ideas appropriate for the problem context, the stakeholders, and the organisational environment
- demonstrate an appreciation and understanding of the professional and ethical issues, dilemmas, and considerations pertaining to an IS/IT professional in various environments
- work in a self-reliant, independent and responsible manner, show leadership and take initiative where appropriate particularly in a collaborative and diverse team environment
- develop a project plan, design and execute a small-scale project to provide appropriate solutions to business requirements
- demonstrate a substantial understanding of real-world practice pertaining IS/IT, as well as personal and professional development, through immersive organisational experience via industry placements.
Graduates of the Bachelor of Business Information Technology (Professional) will be well equipped to meet the requirements of both industrial and commercial organisations for information technology specialists.
Technical skills such as systems analysis and design and project management are sought after by industry, with good opportunities available for progressing into management and leadership positions.
Since the commencement of the course, graduates have obtained relevant positions in IT-related fields and positions including: business analyst, team leader, software developer, systems analyst, project manager, security analyst, production manager, client service network consultant, and network coordinator.