The skills attained from the program should assist graduates gaining employment in a range of industries including consulting engineering, construction, local government and public and private infrastructure owners.
This program aims to prepare you for future roles in managing people, equipment, materials, technological processes and funds in the construction, building and maintenance of buildings and assets in civil infrastructure. This is achieved by structured study of advanced management and engineering techniques in the fields of construction, building and maintenance.
At the completion of the Master of Engineering (Civil Structures) course, graduates will be able to:
- demonstrate high-level advanced knowledge and skills in structural engineering practice related to design, analysis and maintenance of building and civil structures
- plan and execute a research project on a relevant structural engineering topic by applying appropriate research principles, sound methods and technical research skills
- reflect in managing practical issues/complex problems and describing/developing contemporary and sustainable structural engineering trends and best practices related to design, analysis and maintenance of building and civil structures
- investigate, analyse and synthesise complex information, perceptions, problems, concepts and theories in structural engineering to provide rational solutions to composite problems using critical thinking and team-based/independent judgement in the project-based construction industry
- demonstrate clear and coherent communication skills to articulate complex knowledge and justify propositions and professional decisions to specialist and non-specialist audiences; including clients, customers, multi-disciplinary/multi-cultural project teams and stakeholders
- demonstrate a high level of autonomy, accountability, credibility, ethics, and responsibility for all personal work outputs.
The program will provide the following generic attributes:
- Providing career orientated education
- Developing links with industry and knowledge transfer
- Undertaking research which is applied and relevant to the needs of industry
- Developing lifelong learning skills
- Establishing international links including opportunities for collaboration with Swinburne’s other campuses