The Master of Engineering (Advanced Manufacturing Technology) aims to produce graduates who will be able to lead and apply advanced technical and management skills to the design, procurement and maintenance of infrastructure projects in this field. The Master of Entrepreneurship and Innovation is designed to develop specialist skills needed to lead and manage the process of innovation, business start-ups, high growth and rapid change.
These two skill sets are seen as universally complementary because the technical skills learnt in engineering will allow the entrepreneurial manager or leader to create new or redevelop existing ventures in industry. The combination is seen to enhance each set of professional qualifications, providing graduates with the competitive edge in the workforce.
The course will have an applied industry focus and present units of study relevant to professional practice and contemporary research in these fields. It is tailored for both those who want to create new enterprises and those who want to bring new attitudes and possibilities to existing ventures. The skills involved are common to all sizes of organisations, whether public sector, private sector to non-profit.
At the completion of the Master of Engineering (Advanced Manufacturing Technology) course, graduates should be able to:
1. Demonstrate high-level advanced knowledge and skills in advanced design and manufacturing practice
2. Plan and implement an independent research project in advanced manufacturing technology applying research principles and methods and using technical research skills
3. Reflect on contemporary and emerging issues and trends in advanced manufacturing technology practice
4. Investigate, analyse and synthesise complex information, problems, concepts and theories from advanced manufacturing practice to provide solutions to complex problems using critical thinking and independent judgement
5. Demonstrate clear and coherent communication skills to articulate complex knowledge and justify propositions and professional decisions in advanced manufacturing to specialist and non-specialist audiences
6. Demonstrate a high level of autonomy, accountability, credibility, ethics, and responsibility for all personal work outputs in the advanced manufacturing sector
At completion of the Master of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, graduates should be able to:
1. Apply coherent and advanced knowledge of entrepreneurship and innovation concepts in diverse contexts and applications using critical thinking
2. Apply problem solving, design and decision making methodologies to identify and provide innovative solutions to complex problems with intellectual independence
3. Communicate proficiently in professional practice to a variety of audiences, function as an effective member or leader of a diverse team, and use advanced tools and practices of entrepreneurship within project work
4. Demonstrate professionalism, integrity, ethical conduct, professional accountability and a deep awareness of professional practices in a global and sustainable context
5. Apply entrepreneurship fundamentals to the analysis, design and operation of a business model using appropriate entrepreneurship and innovation methods and tools, applied in a variety of contexts
6. Reflect on and take responsibility for their own learning and self-management processes, and manage their own time and processes effectively by regularly reviewing performance as a means of managing continuing professional development and lifelong learning
7. Apply knowledge of research principles and methods to plan and execute a piece of research with some independence as preparation for research higher degrees