The course offers the opportunity for employment with manufacturing companies intending to implement different levels of advanced manufacturing technologies.
Graduates may find employment as design engineers, manufacturing engineers, production engineers, engineering managers, systems engineers, or research and development engineers in companies such as automotive, appliances manufacturing and discrete manufacturing intending to adopt advanced manufacturing technologies to enhance the productivity and competitive advantage in the global market.
At the completion of the Master of Engineering (Advanced Manufacturing Technology) course, graduates will be able to:
- demonstrate high-level advanced knowledge and skills in advanced design and manufacturing practice
- plan and implement an independent research project in advanced manufacturing technology applying research principles and methods and using technical research skills
- reflect on contemporary and emerging issues and trends in advanced manufacturing technology practice
- investigate, analyse and synthesise complex information, problems, concepts and theories from advanced manufacturing practice to provide solutions to complex problems using critical thinking and independent judgement
- demonstrate clear and coherent communication skills to articulate complex knowledge and justify propositions and professional decisions in advanced manufacturing to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- demonstrate a high level of autonomy, accountability, credibility, ethics, and responsibility for all personal work outputs in the advanced manufacturing sector.
Swinburne graduate will be:
- capable in their chosen professional, vocational or study areas
- entrepreneurial in contributing to innovation and development within their business, workplace or community
- effective and ethical in work and community situations
- adaptable and able to manage change, and
- aware of local and international environments in which they will be contributing (e.g. socio-cultural, economic, natural).
As well as:
- provide appropriate evidence of advanced knowledge about a specialist body of theoretical and applied topics
- demonstrate a high order of skill in analysis, critical evaluation and/or professional application through the planning and execution of project work or a piece of scholarship or research
- demonstrate creativity and flexibility in the application of knowledge and skills to new situations, to solve complex problems and to think rigorously and independently.