Graduate Diploma of Financial Planning
Swinburne Online - online delivery only
Help clients reach their financial goals and be part of Australia’s fast-growing financial planning industry with Swinburne’s Graduate Diploma of Financial Planning.
Designed for both new and already practising financial planners. This course provides knowledge and understanding of crucial industry regulations, ethical principles and standards of professional practice in financial services.
You’ll develop your knowledge and skills to provide tailored and professional financial advice, and use the latest financial planning software, with XPLAN embedded throughout the course.
This course is accredited by the Financial Planning Education Council (FPEC). Students are eligible to apply for membership to the Financial Planning Association of Australia (FPA) and to apply for entry into the FPA CFP® Certification Program.This course is part of the same suite that includes Swinburne’s Master of Financial Planning which is approved by the Financial Adviser Standards and Ethics Authority (FASEA). FASEA approval for the Graduate Diploma of Financial Planning is fully approved.
Every international student application is considered for a scholarship
Whether you’re living in Australia or overseas, you’re automatically considered for a scholarship of up to 30% off your course fees. Please check our updated entry requirements.
Online (March, July, November) - View application and start dates
A$40200 (annual for 2023)*
The indicative course fees shown in Course Search apply to international students for the relevant year only. They are based on a standard study load per year. However, please note that fees are assessed according to a student's study load in each semester, and variation to study load will result in an adjustment to tuition fees. All fees are subject to annual review and may be adjusted.
Study with Swinburne Online
With Swinburne Online, the learning experience is 100% online and studied at your own pace. Our courses are built for the jobs of the future with a focus on collaboration and our flexible learning environment empowers you to study on your own terms. They are developed by leaders in the field and taught by professionals with industry experience.
Course information in detail
- Course detail, course structure and units of study.
International students in Australia who hold student visas are required to study full-time and on campus. Courses that are taught entirely online are only available to international students studying outside Australia or those in Australia who are not on a student visa. Online courses are not available to international students in Australia who hold a student visa.
- Eight prescribed units of study (100 credit points)
The maximum level of credit that can be granted for the Graduate Diploma of Financial Planning is 50 credit points (normally four units)
Units of study
Careers and graduate outcomes
- Career opportunities, course aims and objectives and professional recognition.
Aims and objectives
- apply coherent and advanced knowledge of financial planning and business concepts in diverse contexts and applications using critical thinking
- apply problem solving, design and decision making methodologies to identify and provide innovative solutions to complex problems with intellectual independence
- communicate proficiently with clients, gather and interpret appropriate data and use advanced tools and practices to produce a financial plan
- demonstrate integrity, ethical conduct, accountability, respect and a broad awareness of the professional code of conduct and cultural norms
- critically analyse and evaluate a range of complex information to produce systematic strategies for wealth creation and risk minimisation in preparing financial advice.
This course is part of the same suite that includes Swinburne’s Master of Financial Planning which is approved by the Financial Adviser Standards and Ethics Authority (FASEA). FASEA approval for the Graduate Diploma of Financial Planning is fully approved.
Pathways and scholarships
Course fees and requirements
- Fees, entry requirements and English language requirements.
A prerequisite for many courses, the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) can now be done on campus in Hawthorn at Room 132, Building TD. Book now or call +61 3 9214 3584 for more information.
- Successful completion of a recognised bachelor degree in business or
- Successful completion of a recognised bachelor degree plus three years' work experience. or
- Successful completion of the Graduate Certificate of Professional Accounting or the Graduate Certificate of Financial Planning.
English language requirements
Satisfactory completion of one of the following:
- Swinburne’s English for Academic Purposes (EAP 5 Advanced level) with overall 70%, all skills 65%
- minimum IELTS overall band of 6.5 (Academic Module) with no individual band below 6.0
- TOEFL iBT (internet-based) minimum score of 79 with a reading band no less than 18 and writing band no less than 20
- Pearson (PTE) minimum score of 58 (no communicative skills less than 50)
- any other equivalent assessment of English language proficiency.
How to apply
Find out more
Tel: +613 9214 8444 (outside Australia)
Free call: 1300 794 628 (within Australia)