Graduate Diploma of Applied Statistics
Throughout your studies you will work with software packages such as R, IBM SPSS, and the SAS suite. You’ll learn best-practice methods for research design and as you progress, you’ll learn to use advanced analysis techniques and make forecasts based on complex sample surveys. Group activities using real-life data will help you build your problem-solving capability.
This qualification is suited to graduates of other disciplines or those who need to use statistics in their role but haven’t had formal applied statistics training. Your skills can be applied to a wide range of disciplines, including market research, business, sports and health.
1 year full-time or equivalent part-time with combined online delivery and optional on-campus classes/workshops
Online (Study Period 1, Study Period 3) - View application and start dates
2023 Start Dates
Course information in detail
- Course detail, course structure and units of study.
To qualify for the award of Graduate Diploma of Applied Statistics, a student must complete eight core units of study (100 credit points).
Maximum Academic Credit
The maximum level of credit that can be granted for the Graduate Certificate of Applied Statistics is 25 credit points (normally two units)
Units of study
Careers and graduate outcomes
- Career opportunities, course aims and objectives and graduate skills.
Aims and objectives
- Provide solutions to complex problems in diverse fields using critical thinking skills to review, analyse and consolidate statistical knowledge
- Synthesise communication skills to demonstrate an understanding of theoretical statistical concepts to transfer complex knowledge and ideas to a variety of audiences
- Defend the application of advanced statistical knowledge and skills to make high level, independent judgements in a range of technical or management functions in varied advanced contexts
- Interpret and report statistical results accurately
- Conduct advanced statistical modelling using a variety of statistical software
The Swinburne graduate attributes signify that Swinburne intends that its teaching programs assist all its graduates to be:
- capable in their chosen professional, vocational or study areas and have an ability to engage in critical enquiry
- entrepreneurial in contributing to innovation and development within their business, workplace or community
- effective and ethical in work, community situations and reasoning skills
- adaptable and able to manage change
- aware of local and international environments in which they will be contributing (e.g. sociocultural, economic, natural).
Pathways and scholarships
- Credit transfer, recognition of prior learning and scholarships.
Course fees and requirements
- Fees, entry requirements and non-year 12 entry.
|2023 rate*||Estimated total cost of the course||Estimated cost of the course per year if studying full-time*||Annual Amenities fee if studying full-time*|
||$28,080||$28,080||See how your SSAF is calculated|
How do I pay my fees?
FEE-HELP is a loan given to eligible full-fee paying higher education students to help pay part or all of their tuition fees. The Commonwealth Government pays the amount of the loan directly to Swinburne.
The Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) is a suite of income-contingent loans for Australian citizens and holders of Australian permanent humanitarian visas. FEE-HELP (previously PELS) is available to eligible fee-paying undergraduate and postgraduate students. It provides students with a loan to cover their tuition fees (lifetime maximum $83,313 from 1 January 2009). The FEE-HELP limit is indexed on 1 January each year.
Note: New Zealand citizens and holders of other Australian permanent resident visas do not have access to HELP loans. These students must pay their student contributions or tuition fees up front without a discount.
For further information on your support and study options visit the 'Going to Uni' website at: http://www.goingtouni.gov.au
- A recognised 3 year bachelor degree; or
- Have successfully completed the Graduate Certificate of Applied Statistics