Entry into this course is based on an applicant’s previous study, demonstrated knowledge and skills, and/or work history. It is recommended that all applicants attend a course information session.
For information on essential physical and behavioral abilities needed to perform assessment tasks and professional placements, please review the Informed Choices statement.Academic requirements
You are required to complete VCE (within the past seven years), with a minimum score of 20 for English or 25 in EAL. You must also have a satisfactory score for Units 1 and 2 in Maths or ACSF Exit Level 3 (working at Level 4) or above in both Reading and Numeracy as determined by an online literacy and numeracy test issued by Swinburne Online.
English language requirements
The Diploma of Nursing has entry criteria set by the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council. All students entering this course must demonstrate the level of English language skills specified by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) prior to commencing the course.
You must demonstrate your English language competency in one of the following ways:
You completed your schooling in Australia or at a school taught and assessed in English.
You have achieved a specified minimum score in an approved English language test, such as IELTS, OET, PTE or TOEFL iBT. (For full English language requirements, please see the Diploma of Nursing Entry Criteria page.)
- Applicants must be 18 years of age at the time of placement
- NDIS Worker Screening Check – this process includes a National Police Check
*If a candidate believes there would be a disclosable issue on their National Police Check, a confidential conversation will be required prior to enrolment to determine suitability for work within the healthcare environment.
- Working with Children Check (Volunteer or Employee) for the duration of the program.
This course requires up-to-date evidence of immunisations. If you are not willing to provide up-to-date evidence, you may not be eligible to complete this program.
Immunisation requirements include the following:
- COVID-19 Vaccination – full course required after 15 November 2021
- Measles / Mumps / Rubella
- Diphtheria / Tetanus/ Pertussis (Whooping Cough)
- Varicella (Chickenpox)
- Hepatitis B
- Influenza (Annual requirement)
- Tuberculosis Screening – QuantiFERON Gold test.
For more information about the minimum immunisation requirements please download the Vaccination for healthcare workers information.
Additional immunisations may be required in response to any changes in Government policy or the specific requirements of the organisation you attend for your clinical placement. Further information will be provided at the commencement of the course.
Please review the following additional requirements before submitting your application:
- Applicants must be residing in Victoria, Australia, for the duration of the course.
- You must maintain a current Police Check and Working with Children Check for the duration of the course.
- The first unit of this course, HLTAID011 Provide First Aid, must be completed prior to your first placement. This requirement can be filled by providing evidence of your completion in an Accredited First Aid course. You can complete this through different providers, including St. John Ambulance Australia and Australian Red Cross.
- This course requires up-to-date evidence of immunisations. If you are not able to provide up-to-date evidence, you will not be able to attend the clinical placement component of this course. For more information about the minimum immunisation requirements, please visit the health.vic website. Additional immunisations may be required in response to any changes in Government policy or the specific requirements of the organisation you attend for your clinical placement. Further information will be provided at the commencement of the course.
- Applicants without formal qualifications but with significant relevant work experience are welcome to apply.
This course is currently not available to international students. Interstate applicants are eligible for this course, but will not be eligible for Skills First Funding and must be able to travel to Victoria for practical course elements at their own financial cost. Applicants who currently hold a higher qualification will not be eligible for Skills First Funding.