Dr Yvonne Durandet
- School of Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering and Product Design Engineering
- ATC839 Hawthorn campus
Dr Yvonne Durandet is Associate Professor (Advanced Manufacturing) in the Department of Mechanical and Product Design Engineering, and Academic Director (Industry Engagement) in the Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology. She has extensive industry experience, and actively pursues industry-engaged projects for Teaching & Learning, and Research.
She successfully led R&D projects for Excellerate Australia, AutoCRC, and CAST CRC. She was awarded the David StJohn CAST Industry Partners’ Award, based on nominations by Henrob (UK) Pty Ltd and BlueScope Steel Ltd for achievements in laser assisted self-pierce riveting and in laser surfacing of Al-Zn-Si coatings respectively. She received two CAST commercialisation awards for laser assisted joining and laser assisted cutting technologies.
Prior to joining Swinburne, she was a Senior Research Engineer at BHP where she led strategic projects on twin roll strip casting of steel, near net shape casting of non-ferrous metals, direct casting of steel wires and continuous hot dip metallic coatings of steel sheets.
She has over 80 publications in journals and conference proceedings. She has capabilities and research interests in metallurgical and surface engineering, casting and solidification, welding and joining, laser processing of materials and net shape manufacturing processes such as additive manufacturing.
Additive and Near Net Shape Manufacturing; Materials Characterisation; Surface Engineering; Laser Processing of Materials
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Effects of additives on performance of fibre reinforced composites produced by 3D printing: Study to focus on composites with long fibers; additives may be graphene, or graphene oxide
Effects of architecture on performance of metal matrix composites produced by additive manufacturing: Study to focus on MMCs of steel or Ni alloy
High power diode blue laser interactions with materials: High power diode blue laser technology is new. Research will aim to develop an understanding of laser-matter interactions at blue laser wavelength and explore implications for manufacturing applications.Materials (e.g. copper, aluminium, etc.) and applications (e.g. joining, surface modification, additive manufacturing, etc.) can be selected based on candidates' interest and prior experience.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Manufacturing Processes And Technologies (excl. Textiles) - 401408
- Metals And Alloy Materials - 401607
- Mechanical Engineering - 401700
Additive and Near Net Shape Manufacturing;Advanced Manufacturing Technology;Laser Processing of Materials
- 2010, National, CAST Commercialsiation Award (laser assisted cutting technology), CAST CRC
- 2010, National, CAST Commercialisation Award (laser assisted joining technology), CAST CRC
- 2009, National, David StJohn CAST Industry Partners Award, CAST CRC
- 1985, International, PhD scholarship, University of Adelaide
- 1984, International, 1-yr scholarship, Australian-European Award Program
Also published as: Durandet, Yvonne; Durandet, Y.; Durandet, Y. C.; Durandet, Yvonne C.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2022: (Top up) Investigation of potential for graphene oxide to improve the strength of 3D-printed fibre-reinforced composites *; Brown Coal Innovation Australia Limited Fund Scheme
- 2022: Fused filament fabrication of functional parts: the role of materials properties and part architecture (Student: Saadat Mubasshir) *; Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- 2022: The effect of graphene on the properties of 3D printed fiber/epoxy composites *; CASS Foundation Science and Medicine Grants
- 2022: Transportable high-power blue laser for processing of reflective materials *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2021: (Student) Development of Lunar Based Metal Casting Technologies *; Lunar Resources Fund Scheme
- 2021: Benchmarking Advanced Sensing Technologies for Structural Response Characterisation *; Defence Science Technology Group
- 2021: Donald and Tarnagulla Microgrid Feasibility Study- Community Engagement *; C4NET Fund Scheme
- 2019: Blast and Shock Modelling Phase 2 - 9.82 *; DMTC
- 2019: Nurturing Graduates for Australian Automotive Engineering Futures - Automotive Engineering Graduate Program *; Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- 2019: Processing of Carbon Pitch Resins for Carbon-Carbon Manufacturing *; Defence Science Technology Group
- 2018: 3D printing of automotive spare parts and high value accessories *; Excellerate Australia
- 2018: R2.7.2 Laboratory evaluation of laser cladding on rail wheel steels Scholarship Mahsa Taherimandarjani *; Rail CRC Projects
- 2018: The integration of point-of-use advanced manufacturing tools in hospital settings *; Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- 2017: Hybrid Composite Materials and Structures *; DMTC
- 2016: Casting of recycled steel used in cathode collector bars *; Innovation Connections
- 2014: Development of metal/polymer hybrid structures *; AutoCRC - Development of metal/polymer hybrid structures
- 2013: Henrob SPR process curve characterisation *; Department of State Development Business and Innovation - Voucher Program
- 2013: Use of Self-Piercing Rivets with Ultra-High Strength Steel Panels *; AUTO CRC Virtual Design and Manufacturing
- 2013: Visiting Researcher Scheme 2013 - Dr Briskham *; Research Advisory Group - Visiting Researcher Scheme 2013
- 2010: CAST CRC scholarship agreement - Remya Mathew Valavanal *; CRC for Cast Metals Manufacturing (CAST CRC)
- 2010: CAST Scholarship for Gayan Rathnaweera *; CRC for CAST Metals Manufacturing
- 2010: CAST Scholarship for Rezwanul Haque *; CRC for CAST Metals Manufacturing
- 2009: Compact alloy processing in a Micro Mill Environment - 'MICRO-CAP' (CAST CRC) *; Compact alloy processing in a micro mill environment
- 2009: Lightweight Modular Vehicle Platform AutoCRC Project Agreement (Tracy Ruan) *; Automotive Australia CRC 2020
- 2005: Joining of Light Metals (Cast CRC Project Agreement) *; CRC for Cast Metals Manufacturing (CAST CRC)
* Chief Investigator