Associate Professor Liam Burke
- School of Social Sciences, Media, Film and Education
- Department of Media and Communication
- AS 429 Hawthorn campus
A/Prof Liam Burke is the Cinema and Media Studies Discipline Leader at Swinburne University of Technology and a Chief Investigator at the Centre for Transformative Media Technologies. He also created and continue to lead the Media and Communication department’s highest performing course, Cinema and Screen Studies. Dr Burke has written and edited four books, and published more than a dozen peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters. He has also secured $531,050 (€337,945) in research funding from organisations such as the Australian Research Council, Irish Research Council, Embassy of Ireland (Australia), and Village Digital. His research interests include, Adaptation, New Media and Migration, Transmedia Storytelling, Comics and Manga, Animation, and Transnational Screen Traffic. Dr Burke has presented at more than 35 academic conferences including SCMS, Screen, and Adaptation Studies, and organised four international conferences. He is also the associate editor of the Oxford UP journal Adaptation. Dr Burke’s eligible non-traditional research outcomes include a high-profile museum exhibition, Virtual Reality (VR) experience, and documentary short films. Prior to entering academia, he worked for a number of arts organisations including the Irish Film & Television Academy (IFTA).
Cinema; Comic Books; Television; Adaptation; Superheroes; Westerns; John Ford; Hollywood Cinema; Irish Culture; Animation; Popular Culture and Fans; Digital Culture
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Screen And Digital Media - 360500
- 2015, Swinburne, Dean's Award for Emerging Researcher, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2014, Swinburne, Faculty of Health, Arts, and Designâ€™s Prize for Innovation and Excellence in Learning, Teaching, and Assessment , Swinburne University of Technology
Also published as: Burke, Liam; Burke, L.; Burke, William; Burke, W.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2021: Tracking, Evidencing, and Maximising the Impact of the Australian Children Television Foundation?s Activities, 2021-2024 *; Australian Children's Television Foundation funding
- 2018: SceneHunter *; VILLAGE ONLINE INVESTMENTS PTY LTD
- 2017: Film Genres in the Digital Age *; VILLAGE ONLINE INVESTMENTS PTY LTD
* Chief Investigator
- 2015-10-09: @HOME Documentary Short Film Screening - Heart of Gold Film Festival
- 2015-09-26: @HOME Documentary Short Film Screening - Fingal Film Festival
- 2015-09-26: Interview with Dr Liam Burke - New Books in American Studies
- 2015-08-22: @HOME documentary short film screening - Chaplin Comedy Film Festival
- 2015-07-28: Unmasking the comic book film adaptation with Brevoort, Kelly, Uslan And Waid At SDCC '15 - Bleeding Cool
- 2015-07-20: Batman: superhero survival - Media Studies Lecturer Liam Burke discusses the 75 year history of Batman - 612 ABC Brisbane Mornings, presented by Steve Austin
- 2015-07-17: Ten things we learned at Comic-Con - The Irish Times
- 2015-04-24: Drive with Rafael Epstein - 774 ABC Melbourne
- 2015-04-21: Up, up and away? The future of the comic book movie - The Conversation
- 2015-04-07: Bill chats with Dr. Liam Burke about comic book film adaptations - Fantasy Literature
- 2014-07-15: Media Studies Lecturer Liam Burke discusses his book 'Fan Phenomena: Batman'. - ABC Ballarat
- 2014-07-14: Interview with Liam Burke - ABC Radio National Mornings, presented by Steve Martin
- 2014-05-13: What a hero: Batman's in great nick for a 75-year-old - The Irish Times
- 2014-05-12: He's 75 but can Batman still save the day? Interview with Liam Burke and Jason Bainbridge - ABC Radio National The Drawing Room, presented by Waleed Aly
- 2014-05-05: Drive, presented by Rafael Epstein - ABC Radio National Drive, presented by Rafael Epstein
- 2014-01-29: Fan Phenomen: Batman - New Book by Irish Academic Dr Liam Burke - IFTN
- 2013-12-31: Cinema Classics - five of the best science and technology films - The Conversation
- 2013-11-07: Superheroes - RTÃ‰ 2FM The Dave Fanning Show
- 2013-04-29: Holy birthday batman - sizing up the caped crusader at 75 - The Conversation
- 2013-03-17: St. Patrick's Day screening of Irish cinema - Astor Theatre