Professor Virginia Kilborn
PhD (Astrophysics), University of Melbourne, Australia; BSc (Hons), University of Melbourne, Australia
- School of Science
- Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
- AS216 Hawthorn campus
Professor Virginia Kilborn is Swinburne's innaugural Chief Scientist, working to further education, research, policy and equity at Swinburne and beyond.
Virginia is also a radio astronomer with the Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing at Swinburne University, where her research interests include tracing galaxy evolution by studying the neutral hydrogen gas in galaxies. She is surveying the sky with the next generation radio telescopes, such as the Australian SKA Pathfinder (ASKAP) and the SKA in the future. Virginia undertook her PhD studies at the University of Melbourne, and following a post-doc at Jodrell Bank observatory in the UK, she returned to Melbourne to take up an ARC-CSIRO linkage fellowship at Swinburne in 2003. Virginia was deputy director of the Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing from 2011-2013, and acting director for CAS in 2013. Virginia was the Chair of the Department of Physics and Astronomy from 2015-2018. From 2019-2021 Virginia was the Dean of the School of Science.
Virginia is an enthusiastic educator and has taught into the Swinburne Astronomy online program since 2006, and helped to instigate Swinburne's new and innovative space education programs. She undertakes numerous public outreach opportunities including STEM talks and programs for schools, and space and astronomy outreach with the general public. Virginia is active in the Australian Astronomical community and is a past President of the Astronomical Society of Australia.
Galaxy Formation; Square Kilometre Array
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Cosmology And Extragalactic Astronomy - 510103
- 2015, Swinburne, Vice-Chancellors Award for Culture and Values, Swinburne
- 2012, Swinburne, Vice-Chancellors Teaching Award (team SAO), Swinburne
- 2012, National, OLT Citation for Outstanding contributions to student learning, SAO core team, Swinburne
- 2006, Swinburne, Vice-Chancellors Early Career Research Award, Swinburne
Also published as: Kilborn, Virginia; Kilborn, V.; Kilborn, V. A.; Kilborn, Virginia A.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2014: Melbourne-Sarawak Collaboration Scheme 2014 - Virginia Kilborn *; Melbourne-Sarawak Research Collaboration Scheme
- 2014: The evolution of neutral hydrogen gas in galaxies. *; Early/Interrupted Research Career Scheme
- 2013: Elucidating the physical mechanisms of environment-driven galaxy evolution *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2011: Mass Assembly of Galaxies In the Cosmos: the roles of stars, gas, and metals *; ARC Super Science Fellowships
- 2010: New HI-rich members of the Ursa Major Cluster *; ANSTO Access to Major Research Facilities Program
- 2008: Rich clusters of galaxies: probing galaxy evolution and dynamical growth under the most extreme conditions *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
* Chief Investigator
- 2018-03-08: From Ballarat to the stars: astrophysicist shares journey with Ballarat Grammar girls - Ballarat Courier
- 2017-07-14: Step by step we're tackling gender equity in Australian Astronomy - The Conversation
- 2016-04-06: Union Claims CSIRO chief understating impending job cuts - ABC PM radio
- 2016-03-08: International Women's Day: Swinburne Pledge for Parity - Swinburne news
- 2015-11-27: Here's how to get more women promoted to top jobs in universities - The Conversation
- 2010-02-10: WA sets its sights on playing host to historic pathfinder - SMH/The Age
- 2005-02-25: The mystery of the invisible galaxy - ABC news online