Professor Tara Magdalinski
Professor Tara Magdalinski completed undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Human Movement Studies at The University of Queensland, focussing on the sociological and historical aspects of sport. Following ten years as a founding member of the Faculty of Arts at the University of the Sunshine Coast, in 2007 she moved to University College Dublin to take up a position in sports management, where she was the Head of Subject for Sports Management and the Associate Dean for Teaching and Learning in the School of Public Health, Physiotherapy and Sports Science. She returned to Australia in 2016 to take up a position as Associate Dean, Learning Innovation in the Faculty of Health, Arts and Design at Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne. Tara has published widely in the area of sports studies, focussing on exploring the interface between performance technologies, nature and the athletic body to try to understand concerns about “unnatural” enhancement and expectations of “authenticity” in sport. Her well-reviewed research monograph, Sport, Technology and the Body: The Nature of Performance (Routledge 2008), examines these issues in detail. Tara also co-edited (with Timothy Chandler), With God on their Side: Sport in the Service of Religion (London, Routledge, 2002), and her most recent book, Study Skills in Sports Studies (Abingdon: Routledge), was released in May 2013. She is currently working on a project examining the use of digital technology in performance sport and is writing a introductory book that examines the study of sport in a multidisciplinary context.
Sport Science; Cultural Studies and Literature; History
Fields of Research
- Sports Science And Exercise Not Elsewhere Classified - 420799
- Other History, Heritage And Archaeology Not Elsewhere Classified - 439999
- 2017, National, Fellow, Australian Society for Sports History
- 2013, Other, UCD Science Expression Film Prize, University College Dublin
- 2008, Other, UCD College Teaching Award, University College Dublin
- 2002, Other, Vice-Chancellor's Medal for Outstanding University Research, University of the Sunshine Coast
Also published as: Magdalinski, Tara; Magdalinski, T.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
There are no grants to display.
- 2020-02-22: Australian Sporting Systems - The Ticket, ABC Radio
- 2019-05-14: East Germany's Doping Regime - 7:30, ABC
- 2016-03-08: Maria Sharapova's positive drug test - Newstalk, Ireland
- 2016-01-21: Doping in Sport - Primetime, RTE 1 (TV)
- 2015-06-02: Resignation of Sepp Blatter - Primetime, RTE 1 (TV)
- 2015-05-15: Sport and Fans - RTE Radio
- 2012-07-27: Sport, Commercialism and National Identity - Sky News (UK) (TV)