Dr Tessa Maguire
Dr Tessa Maguire is a Senior Lecturer in Forensic Mental Health Nursing. She has a joint appointment with the Centre for Forensic Behavioural Science Swinburne University of Technology, and the Victorian Institute of Forensic Mental Health, the state wide service in Victoria for forensic mental health. Tessa has been practicing as a mental health nurse for the past 21 years, 20 of those working in forensic mental health services in New Zealand and Australia. She has worked in a variety of roles including clinical, educational, and consultation roles. She also has experience in the development and delivery of professional development programs including external training, and co-ordination of the management of aggression in forensic mental health. Her research has focused on forensic mental health nursing practice, including risk assessment and nursing interventions to reduce aggression, and use of restrictive interventions. Tessa has published numerous articles, book chapters, and technical reports, and has delivered several keynote presentations, and many conference presentations nationally and internationally.
Inpatient aggression; Risk Assessment and management; Forensic Mental Health Nursing; Reduction of restricitive interventions
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Co-Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Nursing - 420500
- Other Health Sciences - 429900
- Clinical And Health Psychology - 520300
- Cognitive And Computational Psychology - 520400
- Social And Personality Psychology - 520500
- Applied And Developmental Psychology - 520100
- Biological Psychology - 520200
Also published as: Maguire, Tessa; Maguire, T.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2021: Validating a risk assessment instrument to identify patients at risk of deliberate self-harm to assist nurses to intervene early *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2020: Evaluation of the Forensicare Clinical Support Team *; Victorian Institute of Forensic Mental Health
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display