Terry Burke is Professor of Housing Studies in Swinburne’s Centre for Urban Transitions. His expertise is in urban and policy studies.
Within these broad areas his interests are in housing – particularly housing affordability – lower income housing provision (public and private rental housing), the generational divide in housing and comparative urban and social policy. Much of Professor Burke’s research is prompted by his concern that the urban and housing well being of Australians is being eroded by the unintended side effects of globalisation, economic change and a political inability for policy reform.
Professor Burke developed Swinburne’s suite of courses in Housing Management and Policy and has undertaken a wide range of consultancy and nationally competitive research studies for industry, government and the third sector. He has served on many government advisory committees and boards dealing with social and housing issues and is widely published in the urban and housing area.
Housing Market Trends; Medium Density Housing; State and local government housing policy
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Co-Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Housing and affordability: Australia is confronting a range of severe housing problems including affordability, homelessness, shortages of supply, indigenous issues and fitting new housing into existing cities. We are looking to initiate research projects on the causes of these housing problems, their impacts, opportunities for new forms of urban housing and the need for reform in public and private housing.
Fields of Research
- Housing Markets, Development, Management - 120503
Also published as: Burke, Terry; Burke, T.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2020: Data and Research Module *; Department of Health and Human Services Fund Scheme
- 2020: Developing an Australian Social Housing Advanced Asset Management Framework *; Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute Fund Scheme
- 2019: Public housing as a social landlord: challenges and solutions *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2018: Home ownership decline: unpacking its extent, impact and implications 2016 *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2017: AHURI top-up scholarship - Phillip Soos *; AHURI Postgraduate Research Scholarship Top-Up
- 2017: Could market design and technological disruption of housing and housing assistance improve social and economic outcomes? *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2017: Inquiry into housing aspirations and constraints for lower-income Australians *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2016: DHHS Rental Reports *; Department of Health and Human Services Fund Scheme
- 2016: Improving outcomes for lower-income private renter households: opportunities and challenges *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2013: Forecasting Social Housing Demand *; Department of Health and Human Services Fund Scheme
- 2013: Report on the state of play of housing related data and research tools in Australia *; AURIN
- 2013: Resource consumption and household affordability; the changing nature of utility costs and the distributional implications *; CRC for Low Carbon Living - Grant
- 2012: Tall tales and true: housing stories from ABS data *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2012: Workforce training for the Homelessness Sector *; Housing Assistance and Homelessness Prevention program
- 2011: Changes in the private rental system and the effects of long-term private rental *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2011: Housing and Spatial - AHURI top up scholarship - Sarah Greenlees *; AHURI Postgraduate Research Scholarship Top-Up
- 2011: New paradigms for urban public transport planning in Australia: assessing the capacity of institutions and infrastructure *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2011: Research the rental bond data of the Rental Board - June & Sept quarter 2011; Plus 2012 rental report extended annuallyIncludes variation 2 - the extension to the project: 2015 Rental Reports2016 Rental Reports *; Department of Health and Human Services Fund Scheme
- 2011: Understanding leadership, strategy and organisational dynamics in the not-for-profit housing sector *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2010: Research the economics of the Victorian housing sector *; Department of Human Services Victoria
- 2010: Residual Incomes in Australia: Analysis and Implications *; AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects
- 2010: Top-Up Scholarship for Viv Hazel *; AHURI Postgraduate Research Scholarship Top-Up
* Chief Investigator
- 2012-09-23: McMansions a sign of our countrys wealth, not a lack of taste - The Sunday Age
- 2012-08-21: What price a home? - Sydney Morning Herald
- 2011-06-17: The good life needs proper planning - The Casey Weekly
- 2011-06-08: Do you want size with that? The McMansion malaise - The Conversation
- 2010-11-14: Something for everyone, but where will they get the money? - The Age
- 2010-10-30: Tents in Sydney, result of housing crisis - The Real News Network
- 2010-10-03: Soaring rents fuel citys poverty crisis - The Age
- 2010-06-28: Heads in sandcastles - Sydney Morning Herald
- 2010-04-18: Call for reform as rental society looms - The Age
- 2010-04-18: The Impossible Dream - Sydney Morning Herald
- 2010-02-20: Home truths dash hopes of first timers - The Age
- 2010-02-20: Home, sweet home: A nice place if you can get it - The Age
- 2008-07-24: First-home buyers get closer to the neighbours - The Age
- 2008-05-12: A roof over your head in 2008 - Radio National - Life Matters program
- 2008-05-05: A fairer city - The Age
- 2008-04-08: Ordinary people feel the pain as wealthy few pocket the gains - The Age
- 2008-03-31: Welcome to Debtland - ABC - Four Corners
- 2008-03-01: The great Australian dream is fading - The Age
- 2008-02-22: Calls for land tax and stamp duty cuts - The Age
- 2008-02-22: Skipping meals to pay rent - Sydney Morning Herald