Professor Trevor Barr
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Media and Communication
- AS413 Hawthorn campus
Trevor Barr came to university life after a career in commercial publishing as Publishing Director of Cheshire Publishing, and subsequently worked as a senior adviser/consultant for a number of government and industry bodies, including the Commission for the Future, Telstra, and Ericsson Australia. He has been a regular national media commentator notably on ABC Radio, for AM and PM, Background Briefing, and also with Australia's leading news and current affairs television programs, including Four Corners and the then 7.30 Report. He is the author of five books published by Penguin, Oxford University Press, Allen and Unwin and Rigby. In 2007 he was awarded the Charles Todd medal for 'communicator of the year' presented by the Australian Telecommunications User Group. He was the Consumer Co-Chair of the Telstra Consumer Consultative Council (TCCC), an advisory body to Telstra for six years, until 2008. His latest book – a novel about the lives of people in the Australian Telecommunications industry is Grand Intentions.
He is now Emeritus Professor at Swinburne University in Melbourne
Ownership and control of media; Media and telecommunication policy; Future of the internet; Broadband
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Communication And Media Studies - 470100
- Political Science - 440800
Also published as: Barr, Trevor; Barr, T.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2013: Applying Virtual Environments to Dementia Care *; Smart Services CRC: Services 2020
- 2012: Integrating the Real: Augmented and virtual realities shared trajectory as emerging technologies (Scholarship Mandy Salomon) *; Smart Services CRC
- 2010: Collaborative film studio *; Smart Services CRC: Collaborative Film Studio
- 2010: Immersive services interfaces for health, learning and training (WP03: Me and iSee) *; Smart Services CRC: Immersive Services
- 2010: New media services (WP01: New business models) *; Smart Services CRC: New Media Services
- 2010: Services 2020 (WP02: Future broadband services) *; Smart Services CRC: Services 2020
- 2010: Smart Services CRC PhD Scholarship (Jeremy Weinstein) *; Smart Services CRC
* Chief Investigator