Dr Simon Cook
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- Department of Telecommunications, Electrical, Robotics and Biomedical Engineering
- EN606c Hawthorn campus
Dr. Simon Cook is an Early Career Research Fellow at Swinburne University of Technology. With a background in biotechnology and microbiology Simon was awarded his PhD in 2014 from the University of Wollongong in molecular microbiology and bacterial pathogenesis with a thesis titled – “Characterising the role of streptokinase polymorphism in the pathogenesis of Streptococcus pyogenes”. Thereafter, Simon took a rather interesting career turn after a ‘Grand Challenges’ funding call from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for a Next Generation Condom that significantly preserves or enhances pleasure, in order to improve uptake and regular use.Simon was employed as post-doc on the team in UOW that was successful in securing funding from the BMGF for the idea of ‘Investigating new tough hydrogels materials to replace latex’. Simon has since moved from UOW to Swinburne in 2016 and is now lead CI for Project Geldom at Swinburne where he manages R&D (materials science and validations, plant development build, operation and testing, materials development and ISO/QA compliance), hands-on engagement with partners/advisors and continues to develop knowledge across research and industrialisation.
Biomedical science; Cell Biology and Biochemistry; Materials Science; Microbiology; Molecular Biology; Medical Devices and Diagnostics
Fields of Research
- Microbiology - 060500
- Biomedical Engineering - 090300
- Medical Biotechnology - 100400
- 2017, Other, Vice-Chancellor's Interdisciplinary Research Excellence Award, University of Wollongong
- 2017, National, MedTech's Got Talent Finalist, The Actuator
- 2015, Other, Staff Finalist UOW 2015 Pitch Competition, Univeristy of Wollongong
- 2013, National, Finalist Thompson Prize , Sydney Protein Group
Also published as: Cook, Simon; Cook, S.; Cook, S. M.; Cook, Simon M.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
There are no grants to display.
There are no media items to display