Associate Professor Stephen Huxley
- School of Design
- Centre for Design Innovation
- Department of Communication Design and Digital Media Design
- AMDC711b Hawthorn campus
Stephen is Leader of the Communication Design major, in the School of Design. Associate Professor Stephen Huxley's background as a designer and creative director ranges from print and television commercials through to exhibition design and motion graphics. He has worked in advertising, graphic and exhibition design and illustration in the UK and Australia. He writes regularly on design and media issues. Stephen was instrumental in leading the re-establishment of Swinburne School of Film and Television and was Director of the School for ten years leading it to many national and international awards and placing it as the largest and most successful film school in Australia. He is also part of the Multimedia Design Team that has been acknowledged with the Vice Chancellors Award for Excellence, Carrick Award, ATOM Award and the Premier's Design Award. Stephen is a founding member of the Australian Graphic Design Association (AGDA). In 2004 the founding members were honoured with life-membership of the organisation. In 2010 Stephen was awarded the ICOGRADA (International Council of Graphic Design Associations) Achievement Award. The award is the highest recognition granted by ICOGRADA to designers for their contribution to the profession. As an educator he is interested in how we communicate through language, images and motion and particularly in the developments of digital technology to achieve this. His research investigates the cognitive and usability aspects of digital media particularly within the museum context.
Multimedia content and design; Communication through language, images and motion; Digital technology developments; Film and technology; Digital media
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Associate Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Interaction And Experience Design - 330310
- Screen And Digital Media Not Elsewhere Classified - 360599
- Computer Graphics - 460702
Design History, Philosophy, and Theory;Product Diversity, and Productivity Design: Visual Communication and Information;Digital Media, Film and Television;Virtual Design and Prototyping
- 2011, National, Premier's Design Award, State Government of Victoria
- 2010, International, ICOGRADA Achievement Award, International Council of Graphic Design Associations
- 2010, National, ADGA Fellow and Life member, Australian Graphic Design Asscociation
- 2008, National, Carrick Award, Carrick
- 2007, Swinburne, Vice Chancellors Excellence in Teaching Award, Swinburne University
- 2007, National, Media Award, ATOM Australian Teachers of Media
Also published as: Huxley, Stephen; Huxley, S.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
There are no grants to display.
There are no media items to display