Dr Sadie Heckenberg
Doctor of Philosphy , Swinburne Univeristy of Technology, Australia; Honours Degree of the Bachelor of Arts (First Class), Monash Univeristy, Australia; Bachelor of Arts, Monash University, Australia
Dr. Sadie Heckenberg is a Research Fellow within the Moondani Toombadool Centre (MTC). A Wiradjuri scholar, Sadie was awarded her PhD at Swinburne in 2018, entitled Nothing about us without us: Protecting Indigenous knowledges through oral histories and culturally safe research practices. Her Indigenous Oral History research focuses on Indigenous methodologies, Cultural Safety and protecting Indigenous spoken knowledge. Sadie is part of a successful cross-institutional team awarded an 2019-2021 Australian Research Council Discovery Indigenous: Tracking Three Significant Songlines of Country. In 2014-15 Sadie was a Fulbright Scholar based in the Kamakakūokalani Centre for Hawaiian Studies at the University of Hawai’i Mānoa, has been a Columbia University Oral History Institute Summer Fellow (2017), a National Library of Australia Norman McCann Summer Scholar (2017) and has held a Confucius China Studies Program Young Leaders Fellowship (2016). Sadie is passionate about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander education and has worked at Monash University, Federation University, University of South Australia and, most recently, as Coordinator of the Indigenous Higher Education Pathways Program at the University of Southern Queensland. Sadie holds a ministerial appointment on the Higher Education Standards Panel and was the 2016-2018 President of the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate Association.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Oral History; Indigenous Oral History; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Knowledges; Cultural Safety
Fields of Research
- Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander Information And Knowledge Systems - 080601
- Studies Of Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander Society - 169902
- Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander History - 210301
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies;First Nations Literature;Enabling/ Pathways Education;Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander educational pathways
- 2017, National, Norman McCann Summer Scholarship, National Library of Australia
- 2017, International, Columbia University Oral History Institute Summer Fellowship, Columbia University
- 2016, International, Confucius China Studies Program Young Leaders Fellowship, Victoria Business Confucius Institute and the University of International Business and Economics
- 2015, International, Chicago Fulbright Enrichment Seminar Scholarship, Institute of International Education
- 2014, International, Fulbright Indigenous Postgraduate Scholarship, Australian-American Fulbright Commission
- 2009, National, E D Daniel Scholarship for Honours, Australian Federation of University Women Victoria
- 2018 (current): Board Member, Higher Education Standards Panel, Australia
- 2018 - 2018: Committee Member, TEQSA Student Expert Advisory Group, Australia
Also published as: Heckenberg, Sadie; Heckenberg, S.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
There are no grants to display.