Professor Ryszard Kowalczyk
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Software and Electrical Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering
- EN514b Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Professor Ryszard Kowalczyk is Wipro Chair of Artificial Intelligence, Director of Swinburne Key Lab for Intelligent Software Systems, and Head of Distributed AI Systems Research Group at Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia. Prior to joining the University, he led AI research at CSIRO and a number of corporate Research & Development centres in Australia and overseas.
Professor Kowalczyk's research interests include artificial intelligence, autonomous software agents and collective intelligence for automated and optimised decision-making, and their applications in digital eco-systems of interacting systems, people and things, i.e. cyber-physical-social eco-systems. It involves automated reasoning, negotiation, learning, adaptation and self-organisation in autonomous multi-agent systems, enabling smart infrastructure, smart cities, smart exchanges and industry 4.0.
Professor Kowalczyk has co-authored 4 patents, published more than 250 scientific articles, and provided expert policy advice to government bodies in Australia and overseas. He has been awarded more than 30 Research & Development projects funded by competitive grants and industry in excess of $25 million, delivering significant research and commercial benefits. His current and past industry collaborators include Wipro, DST Group, Zimbani, CGREI, Suncorp, AARNet, Siemens, Telstra, Vastpark, Canon, IBM, Australian Navy, SAP and DaimlerChrysler.
He received PhD in Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence) from Silesian University of Technology, Poland and holds a lifetime title of State Professor awarded by the President of Poland.
Intelligent systems; Artificial Intelligence; Collective intelligence; Smart infrastructure management
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
AI and Intelligent Agents related topics: Please see Professor Kowalczyk's personal webpage: http://www.ict.swin.edu.au/personal/rkowalczyk
Intelligent Systems for Smart Infrastructure related topics: Please see Professor Kowalczyk's personal webpage: http://www.ict.swin.edu.au/personal/rkowalczyk
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Adaptive Agents And Intelligent Robotics - 080101
- Artificial Intelligence And Image Processing Not Elsewhere Classified - 080199
- 2018, Other, Wipro Chair in Artificial Intelligence, Wipro Limited
- 2018, Swinburne, The Vice-Chancellor’s Innovation Award - Team Award Winner: Building the Digital Innovation Precinct through all of University Collaboration, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2013, Other, Lifetime TItile of State Professor, Republic of Poland
- 2005, Swinburne, Vice-Chancellor's Research Excellence Award, Swinburne University of Technology
Also published as: Kowalczyk, Ryszard; Kowalczyk, R.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2019: Autonomic Computing for Resilient Cyber Operations in Contested Environments *; DATA61
- 2019: Towards Self-Managing Systems Through Decentralised Constraint Optimisation (Student Charles Harold) *; DATA61
- 2018: Personalised Pricing Proof of Concept: Just for You Targeted Fare Sale Offers *; Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute Intern Program
- 2018: Wipro Chair in Artificial Intelligence *; Wipro Technologies Australia Pty Ltd
- 2017: Autonomic computing for resilient cyber operations in contested environments *; DATA61
- 2017: Market-oriented optimisation of smart embedded energy networks *; Centre for GeoExchange and Renewable Energy Infrastructure (CGREI)
- 2016: AMSI Intern Program - Rapid Ship Design using Computational Algorithms *; Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute Intern Program
- 2016: Consumer-centric adaptive quality-assured cloud services brokerage *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
- 2015: Melbourne-Sarawak Collaboration Scheme Stream 2 - Prof Ryszard Kowalczyk *; Melbourne-Sarawak Research Collaboration Scheme
- 2015: Toward custom need data in Smart Exchanges: Smart Cloud Broker Analytics *; Centre for Computing Engineering and Software Systems - Internal contributions
- 2014: SDA-06 Service Delivery & Aggregation - Smart Cloud Intelligent Agents - SUNCORP project *; Smart Services CRC
- 2013: Smart CloudBench Foundry Project *; Australia's Academic and Research Network - AARNet
- 2012: COST Action Program visit to Professor Slawommir Zadrozny at the Polish Academy of Sciences in Poland *; Australian Academy of Science Scientific Visits Program
- 2012: Service delivery and aggregation *; Smart Services CRC
- 2012: Smart Cloud Broker Foundry Project *; Smart Services CRC
- 2012: Student agreement for Sergei Chichin *; Smart Services CRC
- 2012: Vacation Scholarship for Sergei Chichin *; Smart Services CRC
- 2011: COST Action Program visits to Professor Sascha Ossowski at the University Juan Carlos in Spain and Professor Matthias Klusch at the German Research Centre for Artificial Intelligence in Germany *; Australian Academy of Science Scientific Visits Program
- 2011: Responsive automated negotiation in open distributed environments *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2010: Services Aggregation (Student Agreement with Michal Wosko) *; Smart Services CRC: Service Aggregation
* Chief Investigator