Dr Robin Kalfat
- School of Engineering
- Centre for Sustainable Infrastructure and Digital Construction
- Department of Civil and Construction Engineering
- ATC-721 Hawthorn campus
Robin is currently appointed as a Senior Lecturer in Civil and Construction Engineering at Swinburne University of Technology. In addition to academic career, he was employed with SRG limited from the year 2004 to 2009 as a Senior Design Engineer in Melbourne, UK and Dubai and gained extensive experience in design of multi-storey buildings, prestressed concrete, bridge design, concrete repair and strengthening. In 2010, he was engaged by the West Gate Bridge strengthening alliance and designed the strengthening applied to the concrete box girder viaducts which utilized fiber reinforced polymers. His research interests include: strengthening and rehabilitation of structures, sustainable construction materials, fire performance of FRP strengthened structures, the use of nano materials such as graphene to improve the strength and durability of concrete and advanced numerical techniques for structural analysis. He is a recipient of 2018 Research Impact Award for strengthening bridges with carbon fibre reinforced polymers, presented by Australian Road Research Board (ARRB). The shear-torsion retrofit system and patch anchor developed as part of his PhD project was implemented on the West Gate Bridge Strengthening Project in Melbourne, Australia. Robin also serves as an associate editor for the Australian Journal of Structural Engineering (AJSE).
Advanced Structural Engineering; Infrastructure Renewal; Construction Materials; Infrastructure Monitoring
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Structural Engineering - 400510
- Infrastructure Engineering And Asset Management - 400508
- Earthquake Engineering - 400506
Design of Steel Structures;Design of Concrete Structures;Strengthenening and Monitoring of Structures
- 2018, Swinburne, Teaching Excellence Award, Swiburne University of Technology
- 2018, National, Impact Award for bridge engineering research, Australian Roads and Research Board (ARRB)
- 2017, National, W.H Warren Medal for co-author of best paper, Engineers Australia
- 2016, National, Excellence Award for Innovation, Research and Development (High Commendation) for the project "Multi-Axis Substructure Testing System", Engineers Australia
Also published as: Kalfat, Robin; Kalfat, R.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2022: Testing of Snowy Hydro precast TBM segments *; SLC Snowy Hydro Joint Venture Fund Scheme
- 2021: Material study - Concrete *; Level Crossing Removal Authority
- 2021: Snowy 2.0 Design & Component Testing *; Snowy Hydro Limited - Fund Scheme
- 2019: Structural assessment of in-service power pits *; Powercor Australia Fund Scheme
- 2017: Alkali resistance of Geovert FRP bars *; Geovert Australia
- 2016: The use of anchorage systems to enhance the performance of FRP strengthened beams in flexure *; SIKA Australia
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display