Dr Peter Robinson
PhD, RMIT University, Australia; MLitt, Oxford University, United Kingdom; BA (hons), Melbourne University, Australia
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Social Sciences
- AS 428 Hawthorn campus
Peter Robinson's first book, The Changing World of Gay Men was published in 2008 (Palgrave Macmillan, UK) and won The Australian Sociological Association (TASA) Inaugural Raewyn Connell prize in 2010 for the best first book in Australian Sociology. His research interests include ageing, sexualities, and social justice. His second book, Gay Men's Relationships Across the Life Course was published in 2013 (Palgrave Macmillan, UK) with a Foreword by the Hon. Michael Kirby AC CMG. It was based on interviews with 97 men from Australia, England, Hong Kong, India, New Zealand, and the USA and examined relationships they formed as single men, fathers, in long-term relationships. It analysed also arguments the interviewees made for and against gay marriage.
He completed a third book (also with Palgrave Macmillan, UK) which examines the working lives, retirement and old-age of an international sample of three generations of gay men, aged 18-87 and is due to be released in June 2017. Together with colleagues from Southern Cross, La Trobe, Griffith, and Surrey (UK) universities, he is working on a large-scale project investigating loneliness among gay and bisexual males. In January 2017, he became a co-editor of TASA's quarterly publication Nexus.
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Coordinating Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Narrative representation of mental illness in Australian print media: PhD candidate is examining principal narratives that print media in Australia draw on when discussing mental illness. The period covered is 2000-14 and the candidate is collecting articles written for east-coast newspapers.
Outing an unspoken past: homosexual desire and survival in post-war Australia: PhD candidate is focusing on lived experience of non-representative sample of up to 30 gays and lesbians who were young adults in 1950s in Australia. His research interests concern how and where they socialised as well as how they understood their sexuality and their experience of acceptance then.
Understanding public housing provision in Melbourne: a comparative perspective: Candidate is investingating how gentrification affects sense of identity of public housing residents in two former working-class suburbs in Melbourne.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Sociology - 160800
- Australian History (excl. Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander History) - 210303
- 2010, National, Raewyn Connell Prize 2010 for best first book in Australian Sociology 2008-2009, The Australian Sociological Association
Also published as: Robinson, Peter; Robinson, P.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2017: AHURI top-up scholarship - Rachel Maguire *; AHURI Postgraduate Research Scholarship Top-Up
* Chief Investigator
- 2017-03-28: Aged care: the rainbow connection - The Senior
- 2017-03-21: The importance of inter-generational LGBT+ friendships - SBS
- 2017-03-03: LGBTQIPA: The Importance Of Language - Radio station 2ser Sydney
- 2017-03-01: Evolution of gay words - The Wire, 2ser, Adelaide
- 2017-03-01: Faggots, punks, and prostitutes: the evolving language of gay men - The Conversation
- 2017-02-24: Gay men's personal histories and old age - Palgrave Macmillan website
- 2017-01-27: Elderly gay men are concerned about homophobia in nursing homes - SBS
- 2017-01-27: Gays fear moving into assisted living: study - Washington Blade
- 2017-01-25: Older gay men fear alienation in residential aged care, study shows - Australian Ageing Agenda
- 2017-01-24: New research highlights concerns of older LGBT people - Out in Perth
- 2017-01-22: Older Gay Men Are Concerned About More Than Just Sexuality - Same Same
- 2014-07-24: Noted Works: After Homosexual - The Conversation
- 2014-05-11: Out of the closet and into the changing rooms - Star Observer
- 2012-02-22: Should gay men make sexist jokes? - Daily Life