Dr Nanette Carter
PhD, University of Melbourne, Australia; Arts, University of Melbourne, Australia; Bachelor of Arts, LaTrobe University, Australia
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Design
- Centre for Design Innovation
- Department of Communication Design and Digital Media Design
- AMDC701-5 Hawthorn campus
Nanette Carter is enthusiastic about sharing the history of design with popular audiences through publications and curatorial projects.
She has diverse research interests in the field of design. The first is design history, with particular focus on Australian design and modernism. Nanette also conducts research into prefabrication for housing provision, both historical and contemporary, with a special focus on indigenous housing, low-income housing and emergency shelter. A further research interest is historical and contemporary innovation in design for the retail and hospitality industries (department stores, boutiques, cafés and restaurants), including product development, branding and store placement. And finally she has a particular interest in approaches to developing biophilic cities.
Nanette's research explores the history of networks of designers, organisations, producers and business in responding to social, cultural and envirnomental change. It also explores the role of users and consumers in driving changes in commodities, spaces and services. She is an expert on Australian pioneer modernist design of the inter-war period and post-war DIY culture.
In addition to research publications and curating exhibitions on design Nanette has acted as a consultant to the Powerhouse Museum Sydney, the Australian National Gallery, the National Gallery of Victoria, independent filmmakers and curators and the Office of the Surveyor-General and Land information of the ACT Government.
Consumption and everyday life (especially cafes, bars, shops, and restaurants, cinemas and department stores); Australian design history; design innovation, DIY culture
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Design History And Theory - 120301
- Design Innovation - 120302
- Consumption And Everyday Life - 200203
Design History, Philosophy, and Theory
- 2007, National, Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning (Design Online Team), Carrick Institute for Learning and Teaching in Higher Education
- 2006, Swinburne, Vice-Chancellor's Teaching Award (Design Online Team), Swinburne University
- 2006, National, Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning (Packaging Team), Carrick Institute for Learning and Teaching in Higher Education
- 2005, Swinburne, Vice-Chancellor's Teaching Award (Packaging Team), Swinburn University
Also published as: Carter, Nanette; Carter, N.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Grant information is currently offline and as such is unable to be displayed here. A further update will be provided in mid-January 2019.
- 2018-11-17: Pellegrini's: Blueprint for Living - ABC Radio National
- 2018-09-12: FrancesBurkeMidCModern - Instagram
- 2017-08-08: Brave New World at NGV - Age
- 2015-07-10: Japanese Lessons - Age
- 2014-09-05: Eames-era Modernism Still Reigns Supreme - Age
- 2014-06-23: Women Renovators Reap the Rewards - Age
- 2014-04-27: Fabrics That Never Fade - Age