Dr Michelle H Lim
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- Swinburne Research Institutes
- Centre for Mental Health
- EW203 Hawthorn campus
Dr Lim is a Senior Lecturer in Clinical Psychology and leads the Social Health and Wellbeing (SHAW) Laboratory. Dr Lim is interested in how subjective loneliness can negatively impact social functioning and exacerbate mental health symptoms (e.g., social anxiety, depression and paranoia). Her research interest relates to designing and developing evidence based solutions that can address loneliness in young people with first episode psychosis, social anxiety disorder, as well as nonclinical populations across the lifespan. Dr Lim’s interest extend to the development and implementation of personalised mental health, cognitive biases in psychopathology, subclinical psychotic symptoms, decision-making, and emotion regulation processes.
Dr Lim is a registered clinical psychologist and a board approved supervisor for the Psychology Board of Australia. She currently holds multiple research collaborations with Washington University in St Louis, University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill), the University of Melbourne, and Australian Catholic University. Dr Lim is the chair of the Australian Coalition to End Loneliness scientific advisory committee, which guides Australian charities and government agencies and not-for-profit organisations to deliver evidence-based community messaging and interventions in loneliness.
More information about Dr Lim's team can be found here. https://shawlaboratory.org
Clinical Psychology; Social Psychology
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Associate Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Psychology - 170100
- Psychiatry (incl. Psychotherapy) - 110319
Also published as: Lim, Michelle; Lim, M.; Lim, M. H.; Lim, Michelle H.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Grant information is currently offline and as such is unable to be displayed here. A further update will be provided in mid-January 2019.
- 2018-10-29: How lonely are Australia’s city dwellers and what can be done to address it? - SBS World New Radio
- 2018-10-26: Working to end loneliness - Fairfax Media
- 2018-10-24: Should loneliness be a government portfolio - FIVEaa Adelaide
- 2018-10-19: Loneliness - 3AW Mornings with Neil Mitchell
- 2018-10-19: Loneliness in Young People – BBC Survey - ABC Brisbane
- 2018-10-17: Should Australia follow the UK and establish a loneliness strategy? - 2GB Brisbane
- 2018-10-02: Loneliness: the new Australian norm - The Wire, 2Ser Sydney
- 2018-09-25: Loneliness a growing problem - ABC Myf Warhurst with Myf Warhurst
- 2018-09-10: Are friendships harder to make as we age? - ABC On Nightlife with Philip Clark
- 2018-09-01: Loneliness - 3AW Radio Drive
- 2018-07-31: Loneliness reaches debilitating levels, as UK appoints Minister for Loneliness - 2GB Radio
- 2018-05-29: The Lonely Paradox - 3RRR Breakfasters
- 2018-05-11: Dr Michelle Lim on loneliness - Unravelled 94.7 The Pulse
- 2018-05-11: How to beat loneliness - Life Matters Radio National ABC
- 2018-05-03: The psychology of loneliness - The Daily Edition Channel Seven
- 2018-04-12: The reality of loneliness: it doesn't just affect the elderly - ABC Radio Perth
- 2018-01-19: Loneliness - ABC Mornings with Vanessa Mills
- 2018-01-01: Trust me I'm an expert: Risk - The Conversation
- 2017-11-23: How to cope with loneliness this Christmas - Good Health
- 2017-10-15: We need to talk about loneliness - Sunday Extra ABC Radio