Dr Mark Finn
Doctor of Philosophy, Queensland University of Technology, Australia
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Media and Communication
- AS322 Hawthorn campus
I have published widely on various aspects of new media, including the historical development electronic commerce and the social implications of mobile computing technologies. For the past five years I have been specialising in the social and cultural dimensions of vldeo games, with my most cited work examining the debate over game censorship. My current work focues on the concept of mediatisation and its implications for a wide range of activities, including sport, politics and education.
My diverse academic background means that I can supervise research students working on a variety of different topics, but I am particularly interested in working with students wanting to explore the role the media is playing in changing social relations.
Communication, Journalism and Media Studies; Video games; Educational Technologies; Intercultural Communications
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Media and Global Citizenship: I am interested in supervising any students who wish to explore the role media is playing in the formation of global citizenship.
Mediatisation of Sport: Media is having a profound impact on the way sport is conducted, and I am interested in supervising students who wish to explore this phenomenon.
Fields of Research
- Computer Gaming And Animation - 190202
- Media Studies - 200104
- Organisational, Interpersonal And Intercultural Communication - 200105
Media Economics;Global Media;Intercultural Communications
- 2017, Swinburne, Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, Swinburne University of Technology
Also published as: Finn, Mark; Finn, M.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2012: Demystifying the Effects of Tablet Use by Young Children *; Google Faculty Research Awards program
* Chief Investigator
- 2010-06-15: Microsoft reveals Kinect and slimmer Xbox 360 - News.com.au
- 2010-01-19: Fun-loving clubbers get ready to play at first Australian video game bar - News.com.au
- 2009-11-19: Old hat email heads to out box - Herald Sun
- 2009-11-17: Sales of blockbuster console games to break records - Courier Mail
- 2009-08-25: The slimline PlayStation 3 looks good at a fresh price - Courier Mail
- 2009-04-04: Nintendo DSi puts a bold face on progress - News.com.au
- 2009-03-04: Red Ring of Death closes in on Xbox 360 gamers - Courier Mail
- 2008-12-16: Stay-at-Home games open up online opportunities - Courier Mail
- 2008-10-21: Koran conquers PlayStation 3 - Herald Sun
- 2008-10-21: Sony has big plans for PlayStation Portable - Courier Mail