Dr Muneera Bano
PhD Software Engineering, University of Technology Sydney, Australia
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Software and Electrical Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering
- Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Dr Muneera Bano has over a decade of experience in academic teaching, research, supervision, and leadership with demonstrated ability to work both independently and as an integral part of a team. Previously, Muneera worked as a Post-doctoral researcher and ‘Learning and Teaching Adjunct’ at University of Technology Sydney. She graduated from the University of Technology Sydney in 2015 with a PhD in Software Engineering.
Her research interests include requirements engineering, service orientation, sentiment analysis and evidence based software engineering. Muneera works at the intersection between computers and humans – looking for ways to engineer technology to work better with the people that use it. Muneera specialises in the field of socio-technical domains of software engineering focusing on human-centred technologies. Her recent research areas include: technology assisted pedagogies for education, and social media analysis.
She contributes to the broader research community as Associate Editor of the Institution of Engineering and Technology Software Journal, as Track Chair in International Requirements Engineering, and Australian Software Engineering Conferences; and as a member of the program committee for various highly-ranked conferences including Grace Hopper Conference for Women in Computer Science.
During her research career, Muneera has also received prestigious recognition for her work, including being named as a finalist for Google Australia’s Anita Borg Award for Women in Computer Science, Asia-Pacific 2015. She was also the recipient of Schlumberger’s Award for Women in STEM (2014 and 2015) and was given the ‘distinguished research paper award’ at International Requirements Engineering Conference held in August 2018. She has been announced as Superstar of STEM for 2019-2020 by Science Technology Australia. Superstars of STEM program aims to smash society’s gender assumptions about scientists and increase the public visibility of women in STEM.
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Associate Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Computer Software - 080300
- Information Systems - 080600
Software Analysis and Testing;Software Engineering
- 2018, National, Superstar of STEM, Science & Technology Australia
- 2018, International, Distinguished Research Paper Award, International Requirements Engineering Conference, Banff, Canada 2018
- 2015, International, Schlumberger Faculty For The Future (FFTF), Schlumberger
- 2015, Other, Post Thesis Publication Award, University of Technology Sydney
- 2015, International, Google Anita Borg Women in Computer Science, Google Sydney
- 2014, International, Schlumberger Faculty For The Future (FFTF), Schlumberger
- 2014, National, International Research Student (IRS), University of Technology Sydney
- 2018 - 2020: Associate Editor, IET Software, United Kingdom
- 2018 - 2018: Chair, Poster and Tool demo at International Requirements Engineering Conference, Canada
- 2018 - 2018: Chair, Poster and Tool demo at Australian Software Engineering Conference, Australia
- 2018 - 2019: Committee Member, Deputy Course Director for Bachelor of ICT at FSET Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
- 2018 - 2018: Committee Member, SAGE @ Swinburne, Australia
Also published as: Bano, Muneera; Bano, M.; Sahibzada, Muneera Bano
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
There are no grants to display.
- 2019-01-31: Repercussions of using biased data for machine learning - Al Jazeera Plus (English)
- 2019-01-25: life as female South Asian student in Australia - BOL radio Melbourne
- 2019-01-23: Muneera Bano: Utilising 'Authentic Assessment' and 'Corrective Feedback Learning' in Software Engineering Education - Monash University Seminar
- 2019-01-03: Pakistani Women Excelling in Academia - Pakistan National Television (PTV World)
- 2018-12-03: Superstar of STEM - Science & Technology Australia
- 2018-09-06: life as female South Asian student in Australia - BOL Radio Melbourne
- 2018-07-25: Artificial intelligence is demonstrating gender bias – and it’s our fault - Global Institute for Women’s Leadership at Kings College London