Professor Leon Sterling
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Software and Electrical Engineering
- Centre for Design Innovation
- AMDC6.17 Hawthorn campus
Professor Sterling received a BSc(Hons) from the University of Melbourne and a PhD in Pure Mathematics from the Australian National University. He has worked at universities in the UK, Israel, the US, and Australia.
His teaching and research specialties are software engineering, artificial intelligence, and logic programming.
From 2010-2013, he was Dean of the Faculty of ICT at Swinburne University of Technology, and Pro Vice-Chancellor (Digital Frontiers) from 2014-2015. He is past president of the Australian Council of Deans of ICT and a Fellow of Engineers Australia and the Australian Computer Society.
Software agents; Agent-Based Systems; Software Engineering; Human Computer Interactions; Aged care; Information Technology in Education; Internet; Medical Devices and Diagnostics
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Information Systems Development Methodologies - 080608
- Artificial Intelligence And Image Processing - 080100
- Software Engineering - 080309
Also published as: Sterling, Leon; Sterling, L.; Sterling, L. S.; Sterling, Leon S.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2020: Maturing design-led innovation processes with motivational models *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2016: Catering for individuals emotions in technology development *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2014: A randomised trial of a clinical prediction tool for targeting depression care (Target-D) *; NHMRC Project Grants
- 2014: Increasing knowledge and motiviating collaborative action on Low Carbon Living through team-based and game-based mobile learning *; CRC Low Carbon Living
- 2014: Industrial Transformation Training Centre in Biodevices and Diagnostics *; ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centres
- 2014: Research & Application of user interface and design elements relative to aged use of technologies: Technology Voucher Program with Gass Ideas P/L *; Department of State Development Business and Innovation - Voucher Program
- 2014: Student research agreement for Tomi Winfree *; CRC Low Carbon Living
- 2013: Software engineering of people-oriented technologies and services *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2013: Supportive technology for monitoring sleep problems *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2013: Use of online technology to promote self-management and recovery in people with psychosis (MIRF) *; Victorian Mental Illness Research Fund
- 2012: Personalisation *; Smart Services CRC
* Chief Investigator
- 2013-07-16: Complaints aside, ICT graduates in demand, say teachers - The Age
- 2012-11-13: A brilliant career but not in ICT - Sydney Morning Herald
- 2012-08-31: The whiz kid - The Age
- 2012-07-13: Data crunch: How can schools get kids engaged in I.T? - The Australian
- 2011-07-16: Theres a right tablet for you - Herald Sun
- 2010-11-20: E-sleuths foil cyber culprits - The Australian
- 2010-11-05: Australian cyber crime investigation skills lacking says Swinburne professor - Computerworld