Professor Lisa O'Brien
Doctor of Philosophy , Monash University , Australia; Master of Clinical Science Hand & Upper Limb Rehabilitation, Curtin University , Australia; Bachelor of Applied Science (Occupational Therapy), Lincoln Institute of Health Sciences , Australia
Professor Lisa O'Brien is an occupational therapist and accredited hand therapist (as awarded by the Australian Hand Therapy Association). She currently has two key streams of research:
- Clinical research, specifically the management of upper limb injuries and limb absence; and
- Health Services Research, including workforce design, evidence based practice, and health literacy
Lisa joined Swinburne University of Technology as the Course Coordinator (Occupational Therapy) in February 2022, and plans to continue her research into musculo-skeletal disorders of the hand and wrist. She is specifically interested in the design of custom-made orthotic and prosthetic interventions that are client-centred, affordable, and easy to use.
Prior to joining Swinburne, Lisa established and led the National Disability Insurance Agency's Evidence Service. She remains an adjunct member of the department of Occupational Therapy, Monash University.
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Occupational Therapy - 420104
- Rehabilitation - 420109
- Health Services And Systems - 420300
Allied Health Design
- 2020, Other, Research Impact Award: Senior Staff Category - Developing the Health and Medical Research Workforce , Monash University School of Primary and Allied Health Care
- 2020, National, NDIS Light Up Award; Category: We Grow Together , NDIA
- 2018, National, Churchill Fellowship, Churchill Trust
- 2017, National, Amy Geach Innovation Award, Australian Hand Therapy Association
- 2013, National, Australian Hand Surgery Society Prize - Best Research Paper, Australian Hand Therapy Association
- 2008, National, Skills Development Award, Victorian Neurotrauma Initiative
- 2018 - 2021: Council Member, Inaugural member of Australian Accredited Hand Therapist (AHT) Credentialing Council (representing Occupational Therapy Academia) , Australia
- 2016 (current): Board Member, Journal of Hand Therapy, United States
- 2016 (current): Honorary Member, Alfred Health, Australia
Also published as: O'Brien, Lisa; O'Brien, L.; O'Brien, Elizabeth Jane; O'Brien, L. J.; O'Brien, Lisa J.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2019: 3D-printed hand prosthetic device - improving their design and delivery models *; Promobilia Foundation
- 2019: The Self Grasping Hand in daily practice, a pilot study *; Promobilia Foundation
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display