Professor Lisa Given
Lisa M. Given, Ph.D., is Associate Dean, Research and Development, for the Faculty of Health, Arts and Design at Swinburne University of Technology, Australia. She is President of the Association for Information Science and Technology and has served on the College of the Australian Research Council. Lisa is an Adjunct Professor in the School of Information Studies, Charles Sturt University (Australia), as well as in the Faculties of Arts (Humanities Computing) and Education, University of Alberta (Canada).
A former Director of the International Institute for Qualitative Methodology (Canada), Lisa has received numerous grants and awards. She is Lead Investigator of a current ARC Linkage Project exploring research adoption by the wine industry and of an ARC Discovery Project looking at knowledge management practices in non-profit organisations. Lisa is also co-investigator for the ARC Linkage Project “Library and Information Science Research Australia” which recently launched the Research Assistance & Development Australian Researchers Grant Program to provide a series of supportive activities to foster research collaboration in library and information science. Recent grants include:
Information practices in non-profits: Knowledge management and technology use ARC Discovery Project $145,000
This project aims to study the potential for non-profit organisations to adopt low-cost tools, such as social media, for knowledge sharing.
Information seeking & research adoption: Assessing communication strategies ARC Linkage Grant $191,394
This project documents the most effective strategies for wine scientists and industry bodies to communicate research findings, to ensure new practices and techniques are widely adopted by the industry.
Library and Information Science Research Australia ARC Linkage Grant $219,959
This project will establish a framework that can be used by library and information professionals to build a research culture that enables the adoption of “practitioner-researcher” as an approach to professional practice.
Lisa co-authored the new edition of Looking for Information: A Survey of Research on Information Seeking, Needs and Behavior (Emerald, 2016) and is author of 100 Questions (and Answers) About Qualitative Research (Sage, 2016). She is the editor of The Sage Encyclopedia of Qualitative Research Methods (Sage, 2008).
For more information see Lisa’s website at http://lisagiven.com
Individuals information behaviours; Web usability; Social media use; health informatics; information literacy; qualitative inquiry; research impact; research engagement
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Human Information Behaviour - 080703
Also published as: Given, Lisa; Given, L.; Given, L. M.; Given, Lisa M.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2017: Information practices in non-profits: Knowledge management & technology use *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
* Chief Investigator
- 2016-09-30: New innovative way to raise uni research funds - Prime7
- 2016-05-22: Wine industry research seeking lower alcohol content - The Land
- 2016-05-15: Poor form on backpackers spreading on social networks - Good Fruit & Vegetables
- 2016-05-08: Pre-election social faux pas: @CanberraLibs break 264-day Twitter silence - The Canberra Times
- 2016-04-18: Internet access problems and NBN in regional and remote Australia - WIN News Riverina
- 2015-07-13: Communication strategies in the wine industry - WIN News Riverina
- 2014-08-09: Constant correspondence would have helped lockdown panic: Social media expert - Central Western Daily
- 2013-07-10: The gloves are off on social media - Central Western Daily
- 2013-04-13: Facebore? - Dubbo Weekender