Dr Loretta Garvey
Doctor of Philosophy, Monash University, Australia; Honours Degree of Bachelor of Nursing, Monash University, Australia
Loretta previously worked at Monash University in the medical degree for 7 years in the roles of Year 1 and 2 Assessment Coordinator and Problem Based Learning Coordinator. She also worked for 4 years in Nursing and Midwifery as the Assessment Coordinator while focusing her teaching in acute medical surgical nursing. Her commitment to professional development is shown through completion of two programs at the Harvard Macy Institute (Boston) in education and assessment. Loretta continues to teach postgraduate health professions education, specifically in assessment and clinical education. Loretta's honours degree research focused on what factors influence Graduate Nurses decisions to nurse-initiate medication. Loretta’s passion for education is reflected through her PhD on "An Exploration of Direct Entry Undergraduate Medical Students’ Readiness to Engage in Problem Based Learning (PBL)." Loretta's role at Swinburne involves the establishment and developlement of the Bachelor of Nursing program, utilising her expertise in active learning curriculum development and assessment. This aligns with her current research focus in higher education on active learning through the flipped classroom & blended learning, assessment, indigenous health curriculum, and the use of models of engaged learning and teaching. Loretta is also engaged in clinical nursing research which complements her research and teaching in higher education. Her clinical experience lies in the fields of urology and cardiothoracic nursing.
Assessment; Nursing; Higher Education
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Nursing - 420500
- Medicine, Nursing And Health Curriculum And Pedagogy - 390110
- Higher Education - 390303
- 2021, National, Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning - Health, Australian Awards for University
- 2020, Swinburne, Vice Chancellor' Teaching Excellence Award (Higher Education), Swinburne University of Technology
- 2020, Swinburne, FHAD Teaching Excellence Award, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2016, Other, Office of Learning and Teaching Impact and Innovation, Monash University
- 2008, Other, Vice Chancellor’s Equity and Diversity Award , Monash University
- 2006, Other, Vice Chancellors undergraduate research scholarship, Monash University
Also published as: Garvey, Loretta; Garvey, L.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
There are no grants to display.
There are no media items to display