Dr Kasey Symons
- Sport Innovation Research Group
Kasey Symons is a Post Doctoral Research Fellow at Swinburne University working within the Sport Innovation Research Group. Kasey works across projects specialising in sport for development and sport and social impact. Kasey has completed a Bachelor of Arts (Professional Writing), Bachelor of Creative Arts (Honours) and PhD at Victoria University. Kasey's creative PhD thesis investigated experiences of female fans of elite men's sport through the lens of gender bias and performance.
Kasey’s current research interests include community development through sport, undertaking a broad range of research projects with national and regional sport organisations in Australia including the Victorian Government, National Rugby League and Australian Football League. Other recent research has included access and equity in sport participation, sport and recreation for at-risk and marginalised communities, sport marketing and fan enagement and representation of women in sport in literature and popular culture. Kasey is also the media manager for the North American based Sport Literature Association.
Outside of her academic career, Kasey has worked in Australian Rules football administration across several AFL clubs and AFL Head Office in marketing and communications. Kasey also frequently works in the media covering, predominantly women's sport. Kasey is also a Director of the Fitzroy Football Club managing the portfolio of marketing and communications.
Also published as: Symons, Kasey; Symons, K.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
There are no grants to display.
- 2020-08-27: Australian Cricket Press for Progress Report - Siren Sport
- 2020-07-07: The Minefield with Waleed Aly & Scott Stephens - ABC
- 2020-06-26: Australian girls set to join grassroots football 'in droves' after successful 2023 FIFA World Cup bid - SBS
- 2020-03-17: AFLW community rallies in face of coronavirus-impacted season - The Guardian
- 2020-03-09: T20 women's final hits ratings high despite 'big opportunity lost' - The Sydney Morning Herald
- 2020-03-02: Erin Phillips' AFLW return signifies more than the resilience of a champion athlete - The Guardian
- 2020-02-21: The AFL hoists another feel-good flag with a rainbow-themed round of women’s footy - The Australian
- 2020-02-17: AFLW is a 'political' competition but that is not something to be afraid of - The Guardian
- 2019-10-09: Women’s AFL public pay dispute could derail start of 2020 season - ABC
- 2019-10-03: Hope, excitement and nerves: AFLW hopefuls run gamut of emotions at draft combine - The Guardian
- 2019-09-11: Tayla Harris has been immortalised in bronze. It is a win for women's sport - The Guardian
- 2019-07-31: New Collingwood documentary lifts lid on mental health struggles in AFL - The Guardian
- 0202-02-17: Should AFL be rebranded AFLM to reflect equal status with AFLW? - ABC