Associate Professor Kurt Seemann
PhD, UNSW, Australia; BSc/Dip.Ed (Hons), UNSW, Australia
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Expert and Extensive Leadership in Creative, Multi-discipline Research Sector having led as Lead Chief Investigator over $5.8 Mill across all Cat 1, 2, 3 & 4 grants:
1) Exec Manager: NGO: Creative Design, technology and Housing Education in remote Aboriginal Communities, NT. 1987-1998
2) National Core Program Leader: DKCRC 2003-2010 for Sustainable Desert Settlements
3) Founding Centre Director, Centre for Design Innovation, 2013-2018
1) Creative and Applied Design and Technology that engages rural and remote communities
2) Nexus between Creative Practice and Design Innovation
3) Expert in cross-cultural and indigenous creative innovation capability development education.
Kurt is a member of the World Society for Ekistics whose charter restricts membership to 400 worldwide, while also a board member for DATTA Victoria. He has won numerous nominations, awards and extensive peer recognition.
Technacy; Technology Education and curriculum; Rural and Remote Communities; Research mentorship and leadership development
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
How Children develop their design led innovation/STEM capabilities K-12: I have a background in research realted to abstraction and spatial inferential reasiong for K-12 edcuation.
Regional and rural education research: I am keen to suport a PhD applicants interested in regional and rural education, especially if also linked to innovation capability development
Smart Citizens 4 Smart Cities: How humans are entangled in the world they make; from products to human settllements, the smart citizen is a new field of interest.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Comparative And Cross-cultural Education - 130302
- Regional Analysis And Development - 120505
Innovation;Technology Education;Culture and Education;Research Methods
- 2011, National, State Thinker: Thinker on-hand/Thinker online, Design and Technology Teachers Association of Victoria
- 2010, National, State Thinker: Thinker on-hand/Thinker online, Design and Technology Teachers Association of Victoria
- 1998, Other, ACM: Australian Competent Manager Accrediation, AIM: Australian Institute of Management
- 2014 - 2018: Chair, Centre for Design Innovation, Australia
- 2017 - 2018: Chair, SUHREC (Acting), Australia
- 2017 - 2018: Board Member, Academic Senate (Swinburne University), Australia
- 2017 - 2027: Editor, Ekistics and the new habitat: the problems and science of human settlements, International
- 2014 - 2021: Chair, SHESC Ethics Chair, Australia
- 2019 - 2020: Committee Member, Stream Leader: Smart Cities Research Institute, Australia
- 2010 - 2013: Board Member, Jagun Aboriginal Ages Care Services Pty Ltd (Coffs Habour City Council Appointment) , Australia
- 2017 - 2020: Committee Member, Australian Council for International Development: Research Development Impact (peer elected), Australia
- 2017 - 2018: Board Member, Australian Living Lab Innovation Network (ALLIN), Australia
- 2014 - 2020: Board Member, Design and Technology Teachers Association of Australia, Australia
- 2018 - 2020: Committee Member, Bachelor of Fashion Design Course Advisory Committee - Holmesglen, Select Country/Region
- 2010 - 2011: Expert Witness, Council of Australian Governments (COAG), Australia
- 2009 - 2012: Honorary Member, Design and Technology Teachers Association of Victoria, Australia
- 2012 (current): Life Member, Design and Technology Teachers Association of Victoria, Australia
- 2014 - 2020: Senior Member, Design and Technology teachers Association of Australia, Australia
Also published as: Seemann, Kurt; Seemann, K.; Seemann, Kurt W.; Seemann, Kurt Walter
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2019: Victorian Teachers use of an Integrated Digital Resources: Stage One - Strategic Thinking & Co-Design *; VIC Department of Education and Training
- 2017: Early prototyping of automotive mobility apps and services around health, wellbeing, safety forhuman-computer interactions with autonomous cars *; Gerenwa GmbH
- 2017: Telescope Stage 2: Parasite Image Recognition, Filter enhancement, Visualisation of Design *; All Farm Animal Health Trust FS
- 2017: Visualising Community Experiences: Boroondara Customer Journey Mapping Co-design Research Project *; Boroondara City Council
- 2016: Shaping Change Stage *; Besen Foundation
- 2016: Telescope: service and industrial design stage *; GRETALS AUSTRALIA PTY LTD
- 2016: Waste Management and Wellbeing in Remote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities *; Waste Aid
- 2015: The Dusted Community (Phase 2) *; Slater and Gordon Asbestos Research Fund
- 2013: Indigenous Participation in a Low-Carbon Economy *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
- 2012: Modelling the benefits of Swarm Planning: a dynamic way of planning for future adaptation to climate change impacts *; Rubicon Research Grant
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display