Ms Kim Ellis
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Science
- Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
- Hawthorn campus
Ms Kim Gina Ellis is an International Lawyer & Space Research professional with a background in metals, mining and mineral processing in addition to expertise in Space Research, Technology & Law.
Kim is the Chief Executive Officer and founder of International Earth & Space Technology, a private Australian company which delivers a range of specialist consultancy services for Universities, Corporate business and Professional Education providers in Europe, the USA and Australia. Kim and her team designs and delivers Lunar, Interplanetary, Space Resource Utilisation, Innovation & Legal workshops in collaboration with NASA, STEM activities for students in the USA & Australia and online technical education programs.
Additionally, Kim is the Aerospace Legal Lead for the Space Office at Swinburne Universities Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing, and an Adjunct Faculty member of the International Space University. Her thought leadership in academic research related to Space Governance, Law and Space Applications led her to being selected by the World Economic Forum, ESA and MIT to contribute to creating the model for a new Space Sustainability Rating system designed to encourage sustainable behaviour in space and reduce new orbital debris creation.
Ms Ellis serves on a number of advisory boards, review panels and executive committee's related to Aerospace & Technology in Australia, Europe and the United States. These include the American Bar Association Forum of Air and Space Law committee & International Defense & Aerospace Industries group, USRA NASA Postdoctoral Program and Monash University Aerospace Industry Advisory Group. As an official observer to the United Nations Hague Space Resource Governance Working Group she contributed to the development of the first Building Blocks for the development of an International Framework on Space Resource Activities.
Passionate about STEM education and outreach for children and teenagers, Kim is a long term volunteer for the CSIRO STEM professionals in schools program and delivers volunteer workshops building Mars ATV's and Lunar Landers for YMCA summer camps. Selected to train as a Scientist-Astronaut during April in Florida, Kim will be qualified to fly missions for NASA 501(c) (3) astronautics research and education program which studies our upper-atmosphere and its role in our changing global climate.
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters students as Associate Supervisor.
Also published as: Ellis, Kim; Ellis, K.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
There are no grants to display.
- 2020-05-29: When you're training to be an astronaut, what happens during a global pandemic? - ABC Radio Newcastle
- 2020-05-11: Sustainable behaviour in Space - Fairfax Radio
- 2020-03-05: Space lawyer earns place in NASA training program - Mirage News
- 2020-02-26: The final frontier: sustainability in outer space - Law Society Journal of NSW
- 2020-02-07: Enterprise + STEM: Encouraging girls to imagine boundless entrepreneurial opportunities - BSI Connection Griffith University
- 2019-12-16: To Infinity and Beyond - Meet Australia's newest Astronaut in training - ABC Newcastle
- 2019-10-17: ABC Breakfast with Sammy J - First Ever all female Spacewalk - ABC Radio Melbourne
- 2019-08-01: Hunter Woman Embarking on Astronaut Training - NBN Television
- 2019-07-17: Known Unknowns with John Faine 50th Anniversary Apollo Missions - ABC Radio Melbourne
- 2019-07-15: Swinburne Uni adds new space sector short courses - Space Connect
- 2019-04-29: Australia makes moves to grow its Defense Industry - National Defense Magazine
- 2018-05-10: Australian government seeds a space agency, but will it take off? - Cosmos Magazine
- 2018-03-28: China space station may fall to Earth within days - The New Daily
- 2018-03-28: Chinese space station Tiangong-1 headed to Earth this weekend - Australia's Science Channel
- 2017-07-28: Manning Valley to Space Scientist - Manning River Times
- 2017-06-12: Global space experts discuss progress of industry at ABA space meeting - American Bar Association News