Professor James Verdon
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Centre for Transformative Media Technologies
- Department of Film and Animation
- AMDC708 Hawthorn campus
James Verdon's creative practice spans video installation, moving image for theatre and performance, broadcast television, and experimental film. His current research examines the nexus between the real and screen-based representations of reality, particularly focussing on the technological mediation of this relationship. He teaches into Production and Theory Units at Swinburne Film and Television and served as Chair for the Department of Film and Animation from 2014-2019. In addition to teaching at Swinburne, Verdon has undertaken visiting teaching and research roles at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Ling Tung University in Taiwan, and New York University. Verdon has exhibited screen-based work at numerous international venues including Leicester Square in London, University of Southern California, Goethe-Institut in Berlin, and the Bangkok International Film Festival. Nationally, Verdon has screened work at a wide range of venues including the National Gallery of Victoria, The Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI), Melbourne Museum at Carlton Gardens, The Australian Centre for Photography, The Centre for Contemporary Photography, Melbourne Recital Centre, regional galleries nationally, the Malthouse Theatre and on a number of public and pop-up screens. He has received project funding from the Australia Council for the Arts, the Australian Film Commission (AFC), Film Victoria, The Australian Network for Art and Technology (ANAT), Asialink, Apple (Computer) University Consortium, and the Goethe-Institut.
Digital Media, Film and Television; Media Archaeology; Film Philosophy
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Film And Television - 190204
- Communication Technology And Digital Media Studies - 200102
- 2016 - 2019: President, Australian Screen Production Education and Research Association, Australia
- 2016 - 2018: Committee Member, AHRC Filmaking Research Network Steering Committee, International
- 2015 - 2016: Vice President, Australian Screen Production Education and Research Association, Australia
- 2018 (current): Committee Member, Australasian Council of Deans of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (DASSH), Australia
- 2020 - 2022: Committee Member, Australian Screen Production Education and Research Association- Research Sub-Committee, Australia
Also published as: Verdon, James; Verdon, J.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2015: Industry in Residence Program and Charles Herschell Fellowship Agreement *; Jolimont Foundation
- 2015: VRS2015: Prof Doe Mayer *; Visiting Researcher Scheme
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display